SoCal deer hunting?

BlakeSeward

Aug 11, 2013
Hey guys, I've got a couple question on hunting deer in SoCal. First of I saw that there are no more d16 tags for deer and I was wondering what other zone would be good to get a tag for. I know a couple place east of temecula off the 371 to hunt but they are crowded and over hunted. I'm already getting a tag for zone a up in paso as well. Thanks in advance guys!

If you are a bowhunter, get yourself an AO (archery only) tag. Then you can hunt during the general season in D-16.

BlakeSeward said:
Hey guys, I've got a couple question on hunting deer in SoCal. First of I saw that there are no more d16 tags for deer and I was wondering what other zone would be good to get a tag for. I know a couple place east of temecula off the 371 to hunt but they are crowded and over hunted. I'm already getting a tag for zone a up in paso as well. Thanks in advance guys!

Off the 371 might not be too bad. I was just up there poking around last weekend and it was thick. Brush seemed impossible to get through in some spots. But there's plenty of places out that way. Just get a cleveland natl forest map and you can see where to start!

Breacher said:
If you are a bowhunter, get yourself an AO (archery only) tag. Then you can hunt during the general season in D-16.

Dumb question, I guess, but can't you bowhunt D16 during the general season with a D16 tag anyway?

Turas said:
Breacher said:

Dumb question, I guess, but can't you bowhunt D16 during the general season with a D16 tag anyway?

Not a dumb question. Yes you can but D-16 is sold out. I mentioned AO as an option for bow hunters but if you were able to get a D-16 tag then you're set.

New to sd from colo have hunted my whole life looking for places to hunt in d14 for deer and bear can anyone tell me where to get maps and info thanks

Co elkguide said:
New to sd from colo have hunted my whole life looking for places to hunt in d14 for deer and bear can anyone tell me where to get maps and info thanks
NF maps can be purchased at any forestry office. Also might be able to get some info from the rangers on what they have seen lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does everyone think about the BLM maps to complement the NF maps for detailed info on boundaries? To scout D16, I followed Breacher's advice and ordered the Cleveland NF Atlas online. Speaking to the BLM ranger this weekend, he suggested I get the El Cajon region BLM map to find additional (current) info on land boundaries, and I also ordered the California chip for my Garmin 62S that shows boundaries. I've always used topos and compass for hiking, but with hunting, a few yards can make the difference between following and breaking the law. For scouting areas, I also use satellite images to find ways through or around thickets.

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

Bonejour said:
What does everyone think about the BLM maps to complement the NF maps for detailed info on boundaries? To scout D16, I followed Breacher's advice and ordered the Cleveland NF Atlas online. Speaking to the BLM ranger this weekend, he suggested I get the El Cajon region BLM map to find additional (current) info on land boundaries, and I also ordered the California chip for my Garmin 62S that shows boundaries. I've always used topos and compass for hiking, but with hunting, a few yards can make the difference between following and breaking the law. For scouting areas, I also use satellite images to find ways through or around thickets.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeppers great stuff ;D

Blake, here is some info. I called the main number at the Palm Springs office of BLM (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings.html). She took my order over the phone for the Zone I needed (in my case it was El Cajon). Cost is $4, no tax or shipping which is a good deal.
For NF maps, the URL for ordering online is http://www.nationalforeststore.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NFS&Category_Code=Atlas
I hope this helps
:)

Sent from my iPhone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu