Some Ground Squirrel scouting

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Several weeks ago I had ventured into our nearby NF to an area I have frequented for over 30yrs.The past years have been scarce with Ground Squirrels due to hunting pressure and the drought.The area is a popular attraction in the Spring for viewing wild poppies and several other varieties of wildflowers.

The area I was hunting had many fallen logs and rock outcroppings that make the perfect habitat for the California Ground Squirrel.

After hiking around for awhile I decided to take a break and relax under the large Oak Trees that covered most of the mountains.

While sitting eating my lunch I could see Ground Squirrels running back and fourth between holes and even sunning themselves on rocks and logs.The area has been so frequently hunted that only a small pocket of huntable areas have been left.Getting close to these Squirrels would prove a challenge as they are very "skittish" little creatures.My weapon of choice was the regulated MK1 LD with carbine stock,great squirrel gun out to 75yrds.I watched this squirrel run in and out of the same hole and was able to set myself close within 30yrds to make a nice clean kill.

The area was absolutely beautiful,wishing to have had more time exploring it.Hope you all can enjoy the photos,should have more hunts soon. 8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu