South Carolina

G

Goyaałé

Anyone have any info about south Carolina? Moving to Columbia S.C. in the future. With the amount of free deer tags you get when you purchase your hunting License. It seems to me that there is an abundance of deer. 11 tags. $5 for extra tags. 15 tags max.

I hunt each year for a week in the Northern end of SC (30miles south of Charlotte, NC). There are certainly an abundance of deer and hunting is a well respected activity every Fall. Deer season starts around September 1st and goes until January 1st at sundown. I don’t know about hunting on public land in SC. The people I hunt with have always joined a hunt club on leased timber land (Quality Deer Management clubs). They have switched between clubs from one year to the next so I know there are many different clubs. The hunting is very different from D16 and so I enjoy hunting in San Diego and South Carolina. In D16 we hunt big country with the spot & stock method. In South Carolina the hunting is usually from a tree stand looking out no more than 80yards (sometimes they hunt by going 60’ up a tree and watch for deer directly below them. That is very different from 200 yard shots in D16). In South Carolina it is frowned upon to be ever walk in the woods during deer season. They are very careful not to let human scent get anywhere in the woods during the season. Hunters go directly to their stand, go up in the tree and only come down when hunting is over for the day. All preparation for deer season is done before the season starts (fixing tree stands, putting out corn, cutting branches out of shooting lanes, etc)
Best part about deer hunting in South Carolina: venison bacon! They do more creative things with venison there than I have seen from processors in CA.

Back