Spot and stalk rabbits/jacks in San Felipe WA?

jsheffer2004

Sep 16, 2020
San Diego County
Hey all,

New to hunting, and super happy to find an active forum on Socal/SD hunting.

I'm planning a short day trip soon into the San Felipe WA to look for rabbit, and was wondering how much success folks have had with a 'spot and stalk' strategy in the central plains and western foothills of the area? For context, I'll only be taking by air rifle (.22), so shots will be inside of 60 yards (30 if I'm not too ham-fisted).

Would it be better to set up against a brushpile and wait for them to wander out into the open?

TIA.

Start early, I usually hunt from high ground and walk/ move slow as possible. Unfortunately you may have some failures before success. My advice if you are using a scope is to keep it set to low magnification.

Reactions: jsheffer2004
Start early, I usually hunt from high ground and walk/ move slow as possible. Unfortunately you may have some failures before success. My advice if you are using a scope is to keep it set to low magnification.

Thanks for your input -- and you've got some nice vids of your rabbit take with that .25 PCP.
Yeah, my plan is to be at the trailhead just before first light so I get plenty of time to take advantage of their morning routine. As for scope, the plan is to keep it on 4x to 6x, as that seems to be my sweet spot (and I've mostly memorized my holdovers at 6x).

I'll report back with any results!

Start at day break and late in the evening. Crossman hit on the nail. take your time walking stop often and go slow, look under bushes in the shade.
sometimes with the cotton tails they will circle, sit and wait and be patient, jacks will just take off and not stop. it will be tough sometimes , but keep at it.
do you have a shotgun or could borrow, works better. even a single shot would work for the running jacks.

Reactions: jsheffer2004

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu