Spotting scope recommendations

It's a budget German spotter in a compact size. Using mine on backpack bowhunt this year. I'm not sure if you can get a better scope for the same price. You get what you pay for though.

Millbro and I did a side by side comparison of that scope and a Nikon ED 50. Noticeably different. Nikon is about $500 more which gives you a more crisp image and lighter weight. The Minox is no slouch though.

It all depends on how far you will be glassing. Shorter distances and you can get away with cheaper glass. If you will be glassing long distance, you should think about spending a little more money.

Yes, I have the Minox. It's a good scope for the price but like I said, you get what you pay for. Half a mile and its still pretty clear. On the higher magnification clarity decreases quite a bit.

Where do you plan on using it? Open terrain?

I bought a Barska 20x-60x with 60mm for just under $80. It's light and I carry it on a tripod out in the field. We can glass a good mile with it. I didn't want to be hauling my nice range spotting scope out in the field. It's too big and heavy. Plus I would be pissed if I broke it and had to replace it. If I bust the Barska I'm not going to be broken up over it. My buddy has been using the same one for 4 or 5 seasons now and it has served us well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu