Struck Out Swinging...

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Went back out for another coyote hunt this morning. First (and only) stand about 15 minutes in we had a dog start responding. It sounded a ways off so we shut the caller down and let it come in closer. It hung up in a creek, so I called again. It moved closer. This went on for almost 45 minutes. I tried everything to get it to break cover but it never did. Then it got quiet and we started to move stands when I spotted it hauling a$$ away from us. I got the scope on it as it stopped to look at us, guessed the distance to be about 400 and let fly. Ended up about a foot low. Dog spun and ran off. It was a homerun-swing kind of shot but I guessed short and struck out.

Still had a blast. Got the rifle sighted in with my new Nikon P-223 scope (which I love btw) and hung out with the boys. No complaints here.

wheels said:
That is one Dog that has now been educated. Coyotes are smart animals. Still a fun time.

Yep!! If you dont feel good about the shot I would say dont take it and try to come back on a different day and see if he comes closer. But always a good day to get out and have a little fun!

SoCalGuidedHunts said:
wheels said:
That is one Dog that has now been educated. Coyotes are smart animals. Still a fun time.

Yep!! If you dont feel good about the shot I would say dont take it and try to come back on a different day and see if he comes closer. But always a good day to get out and have a little fun!

True. But I know what that rig is capable of. It was off hand, standing and long. Sitting or prone would've been no problem.

Going out tomorrow with Nick to see about his second yote. He's got his white whale he's been searching for running through his head. Don't think he'll hesitate if any come across his path but I got my glass ready in any event and hoping to do a some work. Can't wait for my scope so I can finally participate outside of 100 yards! Ill post up a pic either way.

We got out to our spot around 04:45 and set up. Nick jumped on the call thinking we needed to allow some time for the yotes to get down to us. Turned out we had 3 different packs of yotes, pups and all, at our 10:00, 11:00, and 1:00 (probably 15-20 dogs). We were right on top of them and had no ideal. He put a locator call and the place went CRAZY! I thought he was overlapping calls because how loud and how many dogs were all howling at once. Then it went all quiet. No answers back and by the time the light came up, they were long gone. We moved to a bunch of different spots and hiked a few miles up some steep terrain to glass, but saw nothing, heard nothing... you know how it goes. Still a nice morning to get away for a little while. Probably should've waited till there was more light to call. Good lesson for next time. And my computer sucks so I can't post a pic of the scenery, but it was pretty nice out there.

you are not alone... had zero luck on Sunday. Was so quite almost like every dog had been shot already :)

Ha! That'd be great for the deer and quail population... not so good for off-season coyote hunting. Too eager too early... Crazy that we were able to pretty much walk through a path and have a den 20 feet to our left and our right and they just stayed there and didn't make a noise as we walked by. I'd have thought a pup would've let out a noise or something. There are alot of dogs up here. We saw a couple bedding areas with fur all around the brush and 4 underground dens within a 2 sq mile hike.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu