Suggestions for Waterfowl guns

Hale_Abels1

Oct 31, 2014
Im in the market for a new Waterfowl shotgun. Currently have a 20ga Benelli M2, love it, but it doesn't cut it. The 12ga version of it doesn't take 3 1/2, so thats out of the question.
Ive been looking into the SBEII and the super vinci both great guns, but thought maybe something else than a benelli so i have been looking at the Franchi intensity along with the versa max.

What are your thoughts?
the good bad and the ugly for these 4 guns?
Looking to get some feedback on these rather than just reading the site, which each one says along the lines of "newest..best..fastest... blah blah blah.. in its class."

Hands down - Beretta A400 Extreme.

Fastest cycling and lowest recoiling hunting shotgun made...

Super reliable and self cleaning. Very well thought out shotgun.

NBK said:
Hands down - Beretta A400 Extreme.

Fastest cycling and lowest recoiling hunting shotgun made...

Super reliable and self cleaning. Very well thought out shotgun.

X2
I use to be a Remington gun, until I shot the Beretta.. If I bird hunted enough, I would definitely upgrade to one!

Benelli for me but I like the SBE1 the 26" swings like a dream......I own 2 and run around 3k rounds a hunting season thru both and they get cleaned at the end of the season.

Check location of the safety was my big issue.........I shoot 3" #3 for ducks only time I use 3.5" shells turkey & the dead coyote load......but I'm not a ducker

At a certain point it's like ford or Chevy

I love my a400,

Cons-
Safety location blows, took me forever to get reprogrammed from the correct safety location. No clue why they are changing from back to front of trigger.

Slow to swing, coming from a super90 Monty in my case it felt like swinging a howitzer. My guess is any 3.5" gun will feel this way as your current gun is lightning quick.

The 3" version of the a400 can not be had in plastic stocked camo.

It has a ar15 sproing sound to it as you fire :)

Pros
Super stupid reliable. I abuse my weapons and in the two years I have duck hunted with it I'm at 0 jams. We are talking cases of 3" #3 hevi-metal.

The recoil reduction actually works. Your second and third shots will be better with this gun

The chokes that come with it work and pattern great. No need to spend more on chokes.

It has a ar15 sproing sound to it when you fire it.

Why is your heart set on a 3.5" gun? For ducks it's just not needed at all. If you plan on banging away at lots of geese then sure go for it. Your options open up if you stick to 3" I have yet to shoot any 3.5" shells and until nbk invites me to Canada I'm not going to.

My next shotgun will be either the Winchester SX3 or the Browning Maxus in 3.5" chamber. They both feel great in my hands and on a swing.
My go to gun for the last 10 years has been my old Mossy 835, this year I broke out my 935 that's been hibernating in the safe the last few years.
Go shoulder and if possible, shoot all the shotguns. You may think one particular gun is for you and it may shoulder crappy with you.
The shotgun debate can turn into a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate quickly.

I'm just partial Chevy's and Winchester/Browning ;D

I think it depends on whether or not you want to shoot an inertia gun or a gas gun. Inertia guns typically kick a little bit harder but require less frequent cleaning whereas gas guns typically shoot a little softer but require more frequent cleaning. I would do what sdhunter recommended and shoulder any gun you are considering buying. I personally shoot a 3.5" Browning Maxus.

If you don't shoulder all the guns before you buy your crazy.......most can be fitted to you so go to a place that can do that beyond that it's all about feel. Close your eyes and shoulder the gun if when you open your eyes it doesn't line up it needs to be adjusted or try another.

If you can wait till next May Rahages has a demo weekend where you can shoot the new guns and even buy the demos at a discount. Well worth it if your gonna spend the money

I shot the a400 today while shooting trap, it felt awesome. The recoil was light lined up well and felt good, only down side was the grip in my forward hand felt a little too full. Want to shoot a SBEII soon, or at least shoulder one. I shouldered a versamax and it felt like shit. so that is out of the picture for me. thanks for the feedback.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu