Thinking about a Ruger American

Huntndogs

Hunt with an ugly dog
Apr 19, 2011
Inland
Not sure if I want the compact or standard length and torn between 30-06 and 308....Any insight on these models or comparably priced rigs?

Both Ruger American's are on sale for $339 at Fine Firearms -

Like Fred said..."Can't go wrong with either caliber"

NBK said:
Both Ruger American's are on sale for $339 at Fine Firearms -

Like Fred said..."Can't go wrong with either caliber"

You'll be extremely lucky to find an "entry" level rifle at that price point too. All the entry level rifles are pretty much modeled after one another, but I chose the Ruger American because I felt it had slight advantages (adjustable trigger, the bedding blocks, and the 70 degree bolt throw keeps you from smacking your scope). The rifle is very light. The front grip feels a little small to me, but throw a sling on that puppy and that'll go away. I've never "bench rest" shot, but have my groupings down to about 6" at 300 yards (on a good day). Still new at shooting rifles, so I'm sure if you have experience with them, your results would be better. I got the 308 just because. No real reason. You'll read all kinds of left side and right side opinions on stopping power vs flat trajectory and blah blah blah... bottom line, both will kill and the rifle is pretty sound. I'd head down to Fine Firearms and get hooked up!!! If you want to shoot one in 308, and you're in the SW Riverside County area, hit me up.

Tks for the offer Steel, I have pretty much decided on the RA rifle. It realize it will kill things dead as well (at least for my needs) as a way more expensive rig. I believe it will be in 308 and the standard length barrel. Fine Firearms has a smoking deal right now and if I did not have an employer hook up, I would buy from John in a heartbeat.

I will post up results after purchase. I also just bought a Gen 4 glock .40 I need to break in.

Huntndogs said:
Fine Firearms has a smoking deal right now and if I did not have an employer hook up, I would buy from John in a heartbeat.

I will post up results after purchase. I also just bought a Gen 4 glock .40 I need to break in.

Nice!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu