Tourneo de Topolobampo

dtbushpilot

Apr 17, 2011
Some friends and I made the trip across the Sea of Cortez to participate in the Tourneo de Topolobampo, it is on the mainland near Los Mochis. There were categories for several different fish but we were after a blue marlin as it was for the biggest prizes, if we caught something else along the way so be it.

The team I was fishing with lost a blue in excess of 400lbs last year so we were itchin to get another shot at him. As such we were fishing large live bait, Skipjack in the 5-6lb class. We were skunked the first day, I didn't think too much about it until we got back to the scales and found many boats with fish to weigh. We got some local intel and changed up our strategy for day 2.

Day 2 started out with a large sail fish, definitely a keeper and bigger than anything weighed the day before. We caught a second sail and were able to release him to fight another day. Later that day a good sized Dorado appeared in the pattern, we only had big bait out so we dropped back a mullet and ballyhoo to try to coax him into the boat. He showed a little interest in everything out there and finally settled for a 5lb skipjack. I was amazed that a 31lb dorado could get something that big down but he did.

We ended up with the largest sail for the day but the dorado was beaten by 2lbs by one of our neighbors at Spa Buena Vista.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Had a great time, it was nice to actually get paid to fish. Next up the Dorado Shootout at Palmas de Cortez in July followed by the East Cape Bisbee....wish us luck......

Lungpopper said:
Nice job making the adjustments Dave. How long does it take to get to the mainland side?

It took about 6 1/2 hours at 20kts. On the way home we ran across a school of porpoise about midway and caught 3 small (15lbs+-) yellowfin. Jill whipped up a plate of sushi for dinner.

There was a 2 day local club (East Cape Anglers) tournament that began on the day we came back. I had all the boating fun I could tolerate by the time we got back but my buddy Andrew fished the second day of the tournament and managed a third place finish fishing only one day. The guy is a fishing machine.....he has also won the East Cape Bisbee twice, the perfect guy to have for a tournament fishing partner...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu