Traditional Broadhead self made

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
I saw this on the web so, I decided to try it. I designed a jig, and had made for me. Purchased a small sheet of 1095 spring steel. .025 mils thick, same as a hack saw. Blued the surface, then layout outside config of broad heads. Then heat treat it. Since it home heat treated it won't be as hard.50-60 HRc hardness. I slip a standard file tip in to the jig, and slot it. I tack weld the blade on to the field tip. Then grind the edges. And sharpen. It meets and exceeds the minimum width. Pics to follow slow band width with tablet.

Attachments

• IMG_20161030_112633.jpg
    IMG_20161030_112633.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Goyaałé
I saw this on the web so, I decided to try it. I designed a jig, and had made for me. Purchased a small sheet of 1095 spring steel. .025 mils thick, same as a hack saw. Blued the surface, then layout outside config of broad heads. Then heat treat it. Since it home heat treated it won't be as hard.50-60 HRc hardness. I slip a standard file tip in to the jig, and slot it. I tack weld the blade on to the field tip. Then grind the edges. And sharpen. It meets and exceeds the minimum width. Pics to follow slow band width with tablet.

Attachments

• IMG_20161030_112757.jpg
    IMG_20161030_112757.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 18
Thats cool Lee. Have you tested them for accuracy? What's the weight of each broadhead and how much variation are you seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats cool Lee. Have you tested them for accuracy? What's the weight of each broadhead and how much variation are you seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very accurate, on precision scale it weighed 150 gr. With my new welder sould
be lighter and easier to assemble. May use punch to notch some windows to knock the weight down.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu