Trail Cam question

breacher

Sep 4, 2012
Alpine, CA
Finally getting around to putting up my first trail camera. How do you guys view the photos in the field? Do you bring another camera that accepts the same card?

I'm using Cuddeback products, consequently I carry one of their viewers with me when I have time to review on site. I also carry spare cards so that I can change the camera out and move on when time is tight. I dont like to hover too long over a camera sight because of scent betrayal ( My cameras get the best photos after they are left for long periods in the field and the scent goes away)

Cool thanks. Been doing a little research and found some cheap ways around buying a viewer from the camera company. A couple guys on another site suggested buying a used Palm Tungsten that will accept the same card. Found them on ebay for $15. Going to try that.

Just like SC, sometimes I will take my camera and view them on site and other times I will switch out the cards.
I have also noticed that after checking the camera that it takes a while for the sent to disperse and the animals to come back around.

Ipad. ( you have to get a USB adapter). The Trail camera I have has a USB cable... Plug Trail camera into Ipad move all pics over...reset the card. If you don't have a tablet any notebook would work.

In years past I used a Epson picture storage hard drive. It had a 40 gig hard drive, 3.8 inch HD screen and would play the videos too. It took both SD and CF cards. It was great for about 6 years. I would swap the card out and get away from the camera quickly. Then I could check out the pictures in my stand. Transfer the pictures to the hard drive and delete the card. But now it won't read the cards from my new cameras. May need a software update.

I carry spare cards and a camera to view. I take a quick look at the pictures on my hand held camera and see if I am getting anything good. Then I replace my card and take it home to view better.

When I look at my cameras in the field I am looking to see how many picture I am taking and see if something is setting off my camera to much. Maybe a bush is moving or the wind is causing the camera to take useless shots.

I like to take my pictures home because I really enjoy seeing the field life on my camera.

Camera was put up tonight. How long should I wait until I go back in there to check it out? Its on a fairly worn game trail.

I check mine every few weeks, it's the longest first two weeks of your life when you first put it out, I would imagine its like finding out the sex of your first to be baby, even tho u tell your wife your don't care, your sub-consciously hoping it's a boy,...

But than again I dont have a kid so what do Know.

stikbrandon said:
I check mine every few weeks, it's the longest first two weeks of your life when you first put it out, I would imagine its like finding out the sex of your first to be baby, even tho u tell your wife your don't care, your sub-consciously hoping it's a boy,...

Haha, the two don't even compare. I am looking forward to checking it out though. I'm hoping there will be at least a sasquatch or chupacabra on it. I guess I'd be alright with some deer on it as well.

Breacher said:
stikbrandon said:

Haha, the two don't even compare. I am looking forward to checking it out though. I'm hoping there will be at least a sasquatch or chupacabra on it. I guess I'd be alright with some deer on it as well.

Hahah, I always wonder what is on it. U never know man,.... I had a hiker drop down and squat for about 45 secs one time hahahaha make me laugh thinking about it.

Every 2 weeks is good for now. If I start seeing something really good I will stay away till season gets closer. I go in as scent free as I can ( rubber gloves, rubber boots, scent spray)and I check the battery life and swap cards and get the hell outta there. You can't really get all the intel from a 2" screen. I like to view them on my lap top. So I can focus on time, temp, moon phase, Coors Light.

Invisible man said:
So I can focus on time, temp, moon phase, Coors Light.

The Coors Light is a key part of the game cam investigation. Although I might upgrade to New Castle though! ;D

NBK said:
Invisible man said:

The Coors Light is a key part of the game cam investigation. Although I might upgrade to New Castle though! ;D
I do like New Castle, But I try to stick to Coors Lt around the house. If I sit around drinking New Castle I turn into a drunk smelly slob and Wifey gets mad and calls me bad names. ::)

Invisible man said:
NBK said:
Invisible man said:

I do like New Castle, But I try to stick to Coors Lt around the house. If I sit around drinking New Castle I turn into a drunk smelly slob and Wifey gets mad and calls me bad names. ::)

bad names are the least of my worries. i'm more worried about the books and remotes hahahaha

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu