Trail cams??

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
I only ever deer hunt public land and I always hear that scouting and trail cams are a necessity to a successful hunt. However I'm afraid of investing money on trail cameras due to theft and vandalism. Any thoughts on this subject? Anybody have any unfortunate situations with theft or vandalism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go set them up in the rec area. You will get some story's of our own.

I'm setting some up tomorrow. Public land

That's pretty funny surfnhuntsd!! How did you get that pic from the camera?

SoCalHunter27 said:
That's pretty funny surfnhuntsd!! How did you get that pic from the camera?

I ran into the cam owner one day and he recognized me from that cam shot. So we traded info and he sent me that pic, which was funny to see.

I've a got a few pics of the rancher that ranches the blm land I hunt. It's funny seeing him around town now cause he has no idea I have pictures of him haha

TaftHunter said:
I've a got a few pics of the rancher that ranches the blm land I hunt. It's funny seeing him around town now cause he has no idea I have pictures of him haha

Stalker ;-)

Hallx7 said:
TaftHunter said:

Stalker ;-)

Lol

I love this thread. Last year I had one doe, one coyote and 7 pics of random hikers. I have four cameras out at any one time and so far (knock on wood) I still own all 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started with trail cameras about 2-3 weeks ago. I've got 4 now, and my total investment, including 32g SD cards and batteries is about $375-400, with the cameras being $99, $54, $54, & $50. I've been to "my area" 6 times now in the last few weeks, and have seen people out there 2 times. All my cameras are still there, however, one of them i just relocated literally right on the side of the fire road. I have it wrapped in burlap and camouflaged with some brush and branches, but, if you stand right in front of it it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping someone riding by on their bike is going more than 1-2MPH and will never notice it. It was raining when I set it up so hopefully my scent was washed off.

The way I see it, deer hunting in SoCal is always going to be a roll of the dice, and you gotta pay to play. If I can't afford to lose a camera or two every year, perhaps I should stick to getting all my meat from Albertsons and Costco. I feel pretty fortunate that I work for myself and earn a good living, which allows me to basically go out whenever I want

Yep, any time personal property is left on public land there is an excellent chance it won't be there when you go to retrieve the info or camera. I personally cannot afford to take the chance, so I don't own any. However, a hunting buddy of mine has had one of his stolen. No matter how well you strap or attach the camera to the tree, post, etc., there will always be someone out there with ill intent stealing what isn't theirs. It is a sad fact. :(

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu