Transitioning from armchair hunter to actual hunter?

Dutch

Dec 25, 2020

Hi All,
Merry Christmas! First post here after lurking for awhile and educating myself, it got deleted the first time around so trying again. Like many newbies, I've gotten my hunting license, read, read and read some more about hunting, watch hunting shows, etc. but need to purchase a firearm and start actually hunting! I've been on the sidelines for 2 years thinking about this, 2021 is the time to make it happen. I live in San Diego County, grew up in Michigan but the most "hunting" I did back then was shooting nuisance red squirrels on our property with a 12 gauge. I'm curious what folks think about a place like My Country Club in San Diego for an absolute beginner hunter? It seems like it'd be an easier path for someone like me to pick up a rifle and a shotgun, get lots of varmint shooting and just shooting in general under my belt out there, and work my way in more toward other game from that point? I know ilovesprig (Steve) seems very knowledgeable about My Country Club so I was going to PM him as well unless he cares to chime in here. Any current MCC members know the status of the place? I'm guessing they are busier than ever with lockdowns pushing more and more folks into the outdoors.

I don't mind hunting solo, I've done many long distance backpacking trips solo on and off trail in the Sierra over the years so am reasonably experienced in the backcountry, but the hunting angle is completely new. I know everyone says to find a hunting buddy/mentor, but it seems easier said than done. I was either thinking of going the My Country Club route, or perhaps just start applying for tags and trying to find some type of guided hunting instruction or a full blown guided hunt somewhere. I imagine it is common for wannabe hunters around SoCal since it seems like a high barrier of entry to get started as a beginner here as opposed to places like the Midwest. I'm a bit paranoid of just taking a firearm and appropriate licenses/tags to designated "allowed" hunting areas and going for it alone, I tend to be overly conscientious about following the rules, etiquette and not getting in others way. Paying extra for the experience at MCC, especially with fishing included out at MCC seems like perhaps a good option as well.

I definitely want to learn to hunt though, not just go straight to guided hunts and have game lined up for me to do nothing more than pull the trigger. The advice I've read elsewhere is to just find BLM land on the maps and go exploring, which is fine if that is the best way to start hiking the areas and paying attention to sign to get accustomed to things?

Also, I’m not entirely sure what type of game I’d like to hunt eventually. I definitely romanticize the western elk hunt but would like to start smaller and get comfortable with things.

Thanks!

Reactions: sportyg and Aeon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu