trouble with hikers?

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
I'm getting ready for my first hunt. I only know hiking trails so I am going to start there, within the Angeles or San Bernardino forests. Have any of you had trouble with hikers in a busy area?

Any advice?

Hunting where people hike or bike ride is always a pain. There are a couple things to help with this. Unless you see deer tracks on the hiking trail or the hiking trail overlooks a well used game trail, get off the hiking trail and find some well used game trails. Also, generally the farther away from the main road you get, your odds of success go up, of course there are exceptions but that is the general rule, and the farther back you go you are less likely to see hikers, except the hard core hikers. I have had more run-ins with mountain and dirt bike riders then hikers. The good part about hunting where people frequent is the deer are used to your sounds and smells.

Baldkrash said:
I'm getting ready for my first hunt. I only know hiking trails so I am going to start there, within the Angeles or San Bernardino forests. Have any of you had trouble with hikers in a busy area?

Any advice?

About 15 years ago, my dad and I were hiking into one of our favorite deer hunting spots. We had rifles with us and ran into a couple of hikers on the trail. I remember one hiker being apposed to us being out there with rifles. The woman stated, "I can't believe you're out here with rifles."

My dad is typical witty fashion said, "I can't you're out here without a rifle during deer season!" The woman stormed off.

Another time I was dragging out a small buck by myself when I ran into a woman walking her Rottweiler. The dog seemed pretty intrigued but the woman said, "Oh my, that's horrible." I just laughed and continued dragging.

I've also had hikers stop me and were truly interested in what I was hunting and if I had seen anything. My point being is that you'll run into all kinds out there. Use the trail to get from point A to point B then get off of it and into areas less frequented by people.

Its always funny to see people or hear people's reaction when I tell people what I do for a living, they think that all animals come from the super market. I'm sure its even more of a reaction down south farther. I love seeing peoples reactions when I have dead animals or holding a gun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu