Tuna Shootout picture added

dtbushpilot

Apr 17, 2011
"Outcast" will be fishing it's first tournament this Saturday, Van Wormer resorts "Tuna Shootout" so we went out today to practice catching big tuna.

We found a big school of porpoise about 35 miles out and could see tuna feeding before we even got a lure out. Our plan was to fish live bait and cut squid out ahead of the porpoise school and wait for them to swim by.....that didn't work out. The porpoise were just milling around in no particular direction so whenever we threw out the bait we always seemed to be in the wrong place. We tried trolling and throwing bait when we would get a hookup but that didn't bear any fruit either.....except for the smaller fish we were catching on lures.

At the end of the day we didn't catch a big tuna but we did catch a few of his little brothers and sisters. I hope to be able to put 1 big fish in the boat on Saturday, wish me luck....

Photo_F8CE9D8F-9082-116B-6F63-D143D27CB6E5.jpg

Sorry that my pictures suck, I always seem to be trying to get a quick shot with my cell phone and it shows. :-\

Thought I would add a picture of "Outcast", ready to slay tuna. I feel a bit sorry for the tuna, they really don't stand a chance....

9ca5a6a3-fbe2-43f1-849f-8dc92b0e48b6.jpg

Re: Tuna Shootout

Looks like a pretty good day if it were ME fishin'! Good luck to you!!! Go Get 'Em!

You are missing one key element to win this contest. ME!

Good luck Dave - hope you crush em'.

It's not too late bro, flights leave San Diego for Cabo daily, let me know when to pick you up at the airport ;D ;D

Nice bunch of fish. I think you should send some up this way and we'll start another topic in the food section. ;D
With pics of course

I wish I could make it. Keep us posted!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu