USA deer vs Australia deer hunting

s13tsilvia

Aug 21, 2014
Australia
I understand that in the USA a lot of hunting is done via treestands and not much actual stalking, is this fairly accurate?
Why is this the case if true? in Australia the majority of hunting is done via stalking or via hunting with hounds.

Do many people hunt deer with hounds in USA or is it even legal? i know you can hunt bobcats and other type of big cats with hounds but dont hear much about deer hunting with dogs?

Cheers Josh

Only spot in stalk by me. No stands . There's deer in Australia?? No dogs use for bobcats here any more either

I've never sat in a tree stand or blind. Spot n stalk only.
I do know people that have used deer dogs to push deer out of thick brush.
What do deer look like in Australia? Lol

It depends on habitat and, to a lesser extent, species. In the eastern states such as Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc, where there are only whitetail deer in relatively densely forested areas, stand hunting is the rule; using dogs or humans to push deer is also practiced in limited seasons, but the shooters themselves are posted. Both approaches are basically stand hunting and therefore very different tactically from the still hunting and glass/spot/stalk approach practiced in the prairies, deserts and mountains of the West. I have only a little experience with the latter approach and it has given me a lot of respect for those who hunt successfully out here.

Sent via Tapatalk

I meant to say "subspecies", not species. Whitetail and blacktail deer do hybridize where there ranges overlap, west of the Missouri River.

Sent via Tapatalk

TaftHunter said:
I've never sat in a tree stand or blind. Spot n stalk only.
I do know people that have used deer dogs to push deer out of thick brush.
What do deer look like in Australia? Lol

mate we have many different species here, The mighty sambar, largest and toughest !, Red deer, fallow deer, Rusa, chital deer, hog deer just to name the more popular species.

our hound hunting can see the dogs travel anywhere upto 30k's in a day. Remote bush is where we hunt so a lot of time you are running around in the bush on foot chasing them down or trying to get ahead of them in readiness for a shot. Its great fun and really gets the blood pumping.

I'm going to have to call BS on deer in Australia till you post some pictures that's how it rolls

Sdbirds said:
I'm going to have to call BS on deer in Australia till you post some pictures that's how it rolls

ok you asked for it :p

oh wait here is some ducks with my gwp:
Photo248.jpg

trailcam shot
MDGC0198.jpg
MDGC0055.jpg

shot deer
IMAG0937_zps842065c2.jpg

live deer
DSC03743_zps5ad0f5da.jpg

my grandfathers red deer and chital in the background
DSC02132_zps5a8926b8.jpg

grandfathers fallow deer
DSC02124_zps65b450d0.jpg

Some of my dads many sambar
DSC02125_zps68c79fde.jpg
266f9a96-0f6d-4fb8-8437-02401e3a8ffe_zps8799ce9f.jpg

img010.jpg

My grandfathers stag, one of my favorite hunting moments, i was only about 15 when he shot this stag and standing right next to him as it was bailed in a big puddle and trying to jump on the dogs, standing on its hind legs and slamming down. A 300 weather magnum to the shoulder soon fixed that.
img004_zps2c68b66b.jpg

one of my stags... you will see the front tine broken, a guy had a snap shot at this deer earlier in the hunt and he managed to shoot an antler off
sambar2010013.jpg

the guy who shot my antler off lol i owe him one.
DSC00516.jpg

another mates one we got when stalking
sambastag2009-1.jpg
same mate who went into shock and hunger flatted after walking about 10k ... was a very funny day, had to walk out under mobile phone light as he couldnt move real well and we ran out of daylight.
img17.jpg

one i got stalking with my grandfathers dog a curly haired retriever.
DSC00408.jpg

another big one shot off the hounds
DSC00118.jpg

Attachments

• Photo248.jpg
    Photo248.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MDGC0198.jpg
    MDGC0198.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0
no razorbacks, basically no pigs where i live so i dont really target them, you have to travel 8-10 hours to get into good pig hunting areas. I am going onto a 100,000 acre farm in january for pigs so hopefully have some action pics then!

s13tsilvia said:
no razorbacks, basically no pigs where i live so i dont really target them, you have to travel 8-10 hours to get into good pig hunting areas. I am going onto a 100,000 acre farm in january for pigs so hopefully have some action pics then!
. Right on!!! Good luck hope to see some pics

Most of those deer resemble our elk. You can spot and stalk our deer in some areas, but generally not the whitetail deer. They usually kill them over a feeder or food plot( live crop) from a tree or box blind. Spot and stalk is the norm out west in the desert or other open country.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu