Weekend duckin

nicapopolis said:
sluester said:
If you gut shoot burdes and leave them for a week....yuk. ;D

Breast them then put em in the fridge for a week.

You would be suprised. I have had birds that were pretty tore up. I thought my wife would kill me having in the fridge.... nope! No smell, even for up to two weeks. You do get a little smell once you start moving them around to clean, but not bad at all.

It might have to do with the fact that they are sitting still and any of the blood or wounds dry out and doesn't release the smell possibly, but not sure.

I used to be against aging in the fridge before I tried it. Now I love it.

THREAD JACK :-[ : My rule is, if I kill it, I eat it (except coyote and crow which I'm not killing too much of anyway). I've yet to eat bird or bunny that has tasted weird, dirty, stinky, or any combo of. I always clean the insides and outsides well before leaving the field, and either eat them same day/night or pop them in the freezer. The freezer game comes out and goes directly into a brine (regardless of game). I will brine anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days, let the brine all seep out, and rest at room temp. I'm about an hour away from having my first mallard breast. Can you explain the fridge aging to me? You can send me a PM if you prefer but I'm very interested in this. Never tried it.

It is simple. When you get home leave the entire bird in the fridge belly up. I usually leave for a week, but 10-14 days has happened before with no problems.

I do keep them in a grocery bag tied off just to keep them contained. I would prefer the mites in their feathers don't get into my fridge.

You will notice the difference in the meat. Much more tender. You can still brine after if you would like. The skin comes off fairly easily as well too. Breast meat will almost cut off the breast plate with your fingernail.
I never gut any of my birds unless I was going to do the entire bird. I generally will do that if I am planning to rotisserie. Pintail make an unbelievably good rotisserie duck.

nicapopolis said:
It is simple. When you get home leave the entire bird in the fridge belly up. I usually leave for a week, but 10-14 days has happened before with no problems.

I do keep them in a grocery bag tied off just to keep them contained. I would prefer the mites in their feathers don't get into my fridge.

You will notice the difference in the meat. Much more tender. You can still brine after if you would like. The skin comes off fairly easily as well too. Breast meat will almost cut off the breast plate with your fingernail.
I never gut any of my birds unless I was going to do the entire bird. I generally will do that if I am planning to rotisserie. Pintail make an unbelievably good rotisserie duck.

Thanks!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu