What to do with meat on longer trip??

Nickrp

Dec 26, 2012
Hey quick question. Gonna be going after both boar and turkey for my first hunt in a few weeks. But not really sure how to handle the meat (being optimistic here). First priority will be turkey then boar, my question is what do you guys do with your kills on longer trips. Say I get a turkey or boar first day, but buddy doesn't and we go for another day or two, what do you do with your meat? Just field dress and into the ice chest? If so how big of a nice chest should I grab to fit an average boar and turkey?? I will be about 5 hours from home as well and in an fj cruiser with ice chest on the roof. Feedback would be appreciated.
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw a block of ice in it in a little bit of bags to pour around but make sure you keep the meat dry allowed it to drain

throw a block in the rib cage? not a bad idea. what size ice chest you guys use?

Seriously though, I think it may depend on your plan for the hunt. Your enemies are heat, moisture and dirt. Even if you put the meat in a cooler, you need to try to keep it dry. On the other hand large game like a hog can field dressed, then hung to dry in a large game bag for a day or two; but it needs cool air to circulate, and to stay in shade. The logistics of your hunt will determine whether you would be better off using a cooler, or gambrel and game bag. This is a great topic and I look forward to following the thread.

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

I travels from tx to co with two deer quartered up in coolers I put ice in a Cooler then a dish drainer in the bottom then the Meat on top of the drainer kept the lid cracked for the first day then closed the lid for the drive the deer were in game bags to keep flys away and the first deer was in the cooler for four days and it was fine when we got back to colo I've done that twice and never had any problems just drai the water when you add ice and rotate the meat

I would quarter the meat or butcher it on the spot. then wrap it. then throw it into the cooler.
bring freezer paper & tape. keep the meat dry during transport.

dry ice is an option as well as bagged ice.
dry ice can cool down to -100 deg F
when possible I like to age it in a fridge for several days, then butcher, then freeze.
the size of the coolers depends on the size of the quarry. make sure they are big enough.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu