What's the Lightest, Smallest-packable waterproof Rain-jacket outer layer out there available in RealTree Xtra or Kryptek Highlander?

I merely mentioned the camo patterns not looking good for SoCal because for myself, in this spot I've been hitting heavily. Concealment gear is a big part of the equation in being successful there (along with not freaking moving) because it's quite an exposed location, once a critter is in the FOV. I'm a big believer in just how much concealment gear works.

For example... I took this 14 minutes of video by just carefully reaching into my pocket and pulling out my cellphone and putting it into video record mode. I'm sitting there... on a tripod stool... bow on my lap, with an arrow knocked in it, kinda backed up into a small nook beside a scrub oak.

In the video... you can tell at one point the Mama Doe knows something doesn't seem right.. that I might be something of concern for her. If I remember corrrectly, I think she saw my eyes move a little. No way in hell I could record this much video in plain clothes. Just no way.

I'll checkout Kryptek's site, thanks

I disagree, back in the day. I hunted in levies and a chambray (light blue) shirt. I have had does walk within 15 ft of me while just sitting against a tree, and just stand and stare. But I wear camo now, I guess because it’s there

Reactions: longbowhunter2
LOL I don't wear camo to fool the deer.
I wear it so people can't see me when they walk by and I am perfectly still.
And mostly use it for that keen eyed
Bird called a turkey. I have had them walk right next to within 5 feet 20-30 birds single file walking past me.
When hunted in jeans and flannel I would stay hidden behind natural blinds. Only my head would be visible
Had deer hang out most of the time for hours. LOL
Those were the days.

Well for me... sure seems like when you're wearing the camo.. specifically the leafy camo or mesh ghillie suit stuff with pieces that flap with the breeze. It seems to do a lot to help mask your last-minute movements when raising the boy or rifle on 'em at 25yds.

I've taken a bow shot... that missed... at 25yds (because I at first tried the 20yd pin).... He turned to look back at me. All I had to do was FREEZE! Until he finally relaxed back down and lowered his head to forage again...then ... another barely missed him shot...because that time I tried the 30yd pin. DOH! GRRRR!!!!...I freeze again. He begins trotting back into the direction he'd originally entered the area from. There was a gap in the trees.... was gonna try to get up from my tripod stool...knock an area... and draw and attempt that 3rd shot.......

However... in that way they get curious and want to loop around in order to look and try to figure out what the hell was that which took shots at me... he happened to turn-in towards me sharply in that 3rd gap! I'd gotten to my feet, was about to begin my first steps toward that gap. Hadn't knocked an arrow yet. DANG IT!!! Had to play the Freeze game. He quickly turned around to offer only his ass as a shot, looking over his shoulders back at me. His tail started twitchin'... could tell he was gettin' nervous and was about to jet...yup.. sure enough...I'm sure since I stood up now...and now was probably only like freaking 15yds from him...he started to catch my smell since he was moving more toward my downwind side.

Couple more tail twitches... and he's like...Stottie McStotterson all like "I'm out this beyotch!" I intensely scrutinized his body as he fled to make sure I didn't see any blood. Nope. Most intense experience in hunting soo far! Was real mad at myself and review in my mind what went wrong. Needed to hold in-between the 20 and 30yd pins to make it right for the 25yds distance.

Bustd and disgusted. Back to the 1-man tent. Up bright and early the next day. Thankfully a creepy looking Spork buck with antlers that strangely pointed very rearward much more than normal... busted out of the chapparal all clumsily and noisy as heck...

I see him, and I'm like "Oh It Is SOO, ON!".

I wait, and when his eyeball goes behind the tree with my TrailCam, I draw! S.O.B. if he then doesn't decide he's just gonna stay right there for a bit behind that tree... and dip his head down safely behind it a few more times... just to show my previous shoulder injury some love... you know.

It was so bizarre... when he finally gets out from behind that tree... I feel I'm on him good... and I let it go...mid-flight it passes thru a patch of light beaming in from the rising sun... so I for sure saw that the arrow should indeed have hit his body....

But yet... strangely.... he's just standing there! Not moving, for like a good 4-5 seconds...before his body language changes to like "Oh sh!t, Oh sh!t, Oh Sh1t... somethings not right... I think I gotta Go! I gotta Go Now!..."

I'm sitting there in disbelief! I'm like.. NO!... I KNOW THAT HAD TO HAVE GONE THRU HIM! WTH??

He scrambles down... across the gullie then up and around a tree embedd on the bank on the other side. Then does that turn around to see what shot me thing they do.

I'm all like "I don't f*cking belief this!" As I rise to my feet and hurry to knock another arrow.

BUT...

It was about then... that he turns to stott away (only few stotts, then quickly took it back down to a trot).. and when he turns to leave... a golden beautiful patch of sunshine illuminating the Glorious Blood emanating out of his opposite Glute/Hip-Socket area (shot was quartering too and entered quite a ways back...but High, like just under the spine I'd say).

Seeing that blood... I felt such an elation! "I did it! YES!!! I f*ckin' did it! First deer with a bow! I killed a Deer with a freakin' Pointy Stick!! YES!!!!"

Oh man... waiting the 30 minutes was agony for me! But I found him... yes I did!

Looks like they no longer sell this online.

Hrmm... I think I may need to look around more at other options.

I just ordered a Vortex Vulture HD 15x56 like Jan 2nd. (That will most likely ride in my pack until needed/wanted) Also... I have a Diamond Leather Center-Chest rig for my .357 Mag. Though I don't wear that into D15. (Just stuff my Sig P238 .380acp into my hip-belt pouch) I do wear that center-chest when in the main part of D11 since there are black bears in there. (I don't bother with it in the High Desert part of D11, just carry the .380, since don't ever really overnight it out there anyway).

Currently have a Bushnell Harness that has a nice wide mesh+leather part for your back support. It works well for keeping them at the ready, but for now I'm relying on the supplied rubber caps. And on my 8x's one of the obj covers just recently broke off from the rubber due to aging, and so much use.
My initial thought was to say EFF it and get a Bino Harness in a "pack" format. I'd forgotten about the need to have it ride down below that Center-chest rig sometimes.

But now, thinking I'll probably need to get one that can accomodate an 8" tall Bino so I can put whichever of them into it.

I decided to try the 15x's because though I like the light weight of the Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm... now that I have to wear glasses all the darn time, it makes it difficult to make use of the higher part of its magnification range because the eye relief really starts to diminish quite a bit once I get like past somewhere in the region, I wanna say, maybe 22x+ on it... and having the glasses on disallows me to be able to push my eye up close enough at those higher powers, for this scope, to be able to get close enough to the eye piece to not have a lot of vignette'ing going on. I'm not getting the full picture anymore since I can't push up on the glass as close anymore, since MY glasses are in the way a lil bit.

Also... before I had to wear glasses all the time... to combat squinting with the other eye... I would just cover it up with my other hands fingers and that solved it no problem. But now I can't do that anymore since I need to have my glasses on all the time now since my vision went down south in a hurry these past few years. If I try to cover my other eye with my fingers now... there isn't enough room for both the glasses AND my fingers beside the eyepiece.

Most people miss the point about some of the new gear. But Steve is right, you could where a clown suit hunting and it will work. Kuiu gear and some others are about the comfort and weight. And the older I get, the more I appreciate comfort and less weight.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu