What's Your Strategy For Following Deer?

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I kicked up a buck on Saturday morning. He was probably about 60 yards out and saw me first. I didn't see him until he was already on his way out of the area. I put my binoculars on him and only saw a small fork on the left side, so I don't think he would have been a shooter, but I tried following him anyway and never saw him again. He went over a ridge and disappeared.

What is your strategy for getting back on a deer in a situation like this?

I didn't know whether I should try to anticipate where he might go and try to get in front of him, run straight after him, or stop and stay quiet for a while in hopes that he'll bed down nearby.

Tips and advice are appreciated!

to dam complicated for a simple reply. depending on the situation. sometimes, stay watch & wait. other times track & follow. depending on the terrain.
circle around to bushwhack. sometimes no matter what you do. the dear disappears like a ghost.

I like tracking after a rain or snow. I like to push them up across an adjacent hill so I can get a shot.

Play the wind and look behind you a lot. I've watched a few bucks get jumped, run up a draw get above the hunter then get behind him. It's kinda funny the couple times I seem it happen

Definitely a hard call older bucks will circle around or hold tight in cover every situation will depend on wind and visibility. I witnessed a nice buck circle my boy's leave the does he was with and ended up going back in the direction he came from. As Taft said kind funny to watch ;D

I agree with G-team observations I've seen it a few times but maybe even a bit further as far as tactics, I would back away and do so in a way that would not leave them an ability to scent out what I am or where I was. Living where I do I get to play games with wind and sight on a regular basis with the deer and I have learned a lot from it.

Every deer and situation is different.
1, I have found that if they are pushed and feel threatened they are going to leave the area completely.
Say goodbye its time to move on.

2,If you push them a little but they are not sure about what the danger was they will stay in the general area. They are curios and will try to find out what was pushing them.
Back out play the wind game and get high and glass.

3,, Just like others have said. I have watched bucks circle around a large bush not more than 30' away from the hunter and let the hunter walk on by never knowing the buck was there.

Lungpopper said:
Every deer and situation is different.
1, I have found that if they are pushed and feel threatened they are going to leave the area completely.
Say goodbye its time to move on.

2,If you push them a little but they are not sure about what the danger was they will stay in the general area. They are curios and will try to find out what was pushing them.
Back out play the wind game and get high and glass.

3,, Just like others have said. I have watched bucks circle around a large bush not more than 30' away from the hunter and let the hunter walk on by never knowing the buck was there.

I hit the like button. thanks for sharing

I've seen bucks loop back on guys a lot. That's how I killed my buck this year. I looped back around got on top looked down and there he was. He let us walk right by at 50 yds never seen him. Looped back around and cha ching tag filled. Hunt like a deer and stalk like a deer. They're use to being stalked by predators so you have to put the predatory instinct aside and hunt like the hunted.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu