Where to Ship Rifle

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Hi All,

I am going to ship a rifle to a gunsmith out of state and looking for any info for those with experience here in San Diego. I've read through a lot of the regs, but it isn't really clear when shipping to a "gunsmith".

I basically have it boxed up ready to go, I just need to take it somewhere tomorrow to ship.

Thank you,
Jake

Not sure UPS still does it, but a few months back I ship one to AZ. Had to ship from FFL holder/dealer to FFL holder/dealer.

That's a nice guitar that you are shipping........

I went down to the UPS or fed ex hub and shipped mine a few years back no issues. Looks like they passed some new laws forcing you to use an FFL. Call LRI and ask them what the best solution is.

Last edited:
I know a smith who is also an FFL here in Poway. He is a solo shop. Let me know if you want his info, he has been exceedingly helpful.

I have shipped several rifles, that were sold, that I was having work done, custom built, etc. in my experience if it isn’t a rifle sale/purchase then you can ship it directly to your gun builder. If you’re selling the firearm you have to send it to a ffl dealer that is agreed upon with a copy of your drivers license so they can transfer the firearm from one owner to the next one, being your not selling the rifle but having it worked on you can ship directly to your gunsmith/builder. I have gone to Walmart purchased the cheapest plastic case and asked for the box it was shipped in and shipped rifles that way, I have taken stocks off of rifles and sent trigger, barrel and action in a tube I bought from Home Depot and I have even made my own box but all of them I have shipped ups ground and packaged myself and walked it to the ups store and shipped.

Reactions: PewPew252
If you walked into a gunsmith in San Diego would you have to take it to a FFL dealer first and most gunsmith are FFL dealers anyway but in my situation the guy I was dealing with at the time wasn’t a FFL dealer.

I thought it was a shipper issue not a law issue.

On a separate issue does FF release on undetermined?

What are you having done to the rifle Jake.

Going to have a new MCS-EH1 stock I bought pillar bedded along with skim bedding the action. Planning to go with Kampfield Customs in idaho, a very reputable gunsmith who told me he could turn around in two weeks.

I initially built the rifle myself with the proof light weight hunter stock and no bedding, but decided to take the weight penalty for a stock that fits me a little better.

I have shipped several rifles, that were sold, that I was having work done, custom built, etc. in my experience if it isn’t a rifle sale/purchase then you can ship it directly to your gun builder. If you’re selling the firearm you have to send it to a ffl dealer that is agreed upon with a copy of your drivers license so they can transfer the firearm from one owner to the next one, being your not selling the rifle but having it worked on you can ship directly to your gunsmith/builder. I have gone to Walmart purchased the cheapest plastic case and asked for the box it was shipped in and shipped rifles that way, I have taken stocks off of rifles and sent trigger, barrel and action in a tube I bought from Home Depot and I have even made my own box but all of them I have shipped ups ground and packaged myself and walked it to the ups store and shipped.
This. As long as they have their correct form of FFL(I think they can have a regular or one specific to gunsmithing)

I sold a rifle to a guy out of state he sent me his FFL guys address and I sent it there. That was 10 years ago and I haven't been arrested yet sooo... you should be good.

I sold a rifle to a guy out of state he sent me his FFL guys address and I sent it there. That was 10 years ago and I haven't been arrested yet sooo... you should be good.

I've done that before as well. More looking for which UPS store (some will and some won't ship) and detailed instructions. Not sure what has changed in the last few years.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu