Wind: How much is too much?

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Just a quick question...Last time I managed to take a weekday off and hit D16 it was howling wind; blowing probably 20 and gusting to 30. Now I have friday off and they are forecasting high winds again.

Do high winds make game hunker down?

Wind sucks they hunker and ya gotta step on em to make move unless your upwind and they smell you from a thousand yards and you never know that they were there as they flee over the next mountain range ....

Sound advice given. Use the weather to your advantage. I narrowly arrowed a big buck 4 years ago that was bedded down in a steep east facing ravine in a heavy wind & rain storm. If only I could've gotten a range on him. :mad: Countless unmarked 3D shoots ever since...lesson learned.

just like every one said. good advice deer hunker down & don't normally move. I missed a big deer in Mexico once.
I don't remember if it was a Mulley or white tail. in the big timber. wind blowing hard, walked up a draw with the wind in my face,
deer was bedded down. My uncle and I busted his spot. deer definitely bed down and wait for it calm down.

I look at it this way, If you're waiting for the "perfect" weather to hunt, you're possibly missing out on an opportunity. In 2011, I killed my biggest archery buck and the wind was HOWLING. I thought the same thing that deer wouldn't have been moving with the wind but this buck was chasing doe's. Always the exception. Like Mergrath said, use weather to your advantage. Play the wind correctly to mask your scent and sound.

Attachments

• tof photo for sch 2.jpg
    tof photo for sch 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 51
Well all this is very encouraging because I'm going out come Hell or high water (my last chance at a D16 buck for 2013), and it's supposed to howl this weekend! Wind advisories up to 50mph through Sunday is what I'm seeing.

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

Mergrath said:
Sound advice given. Use the weather to your advantage. I narrowly arrowed a big buck 4 years ago that was bedded down in a steep east facing ravine in a heavy wind & rain storm. If only I could've gotten a range on him. :mad: Countless unmarked 3D shoots ever since...lesson learned.

Good to know Tim. The place I was going to hit on Saturday is a very steep, eastern facing set of draws/ravines. Hopefully something will be laid up.....

well just to reiterate. when it's windy does not mean not to hunt, just hunt differently. look for areas where the wind is blocked.
yes for sure nothing is marked in stone. I hunted plenty of times when it was windy saw all kinds of deer.
my favorite time to hunt is after rain or snow.

longbowhunter2 said:
well just to reiterate. when it's windy does not mean not to hunt, just hunt differently. look for areas where the wind is blocked.
yes for sure nothing is marked in stone. I hunted plenty of times when it was windy saw all kinds of deer.
my favorite time to hunt is after rain or snow.

Yeah I'm hoping a little light rain tonight will make tracks stand out for me tomorrow am.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu