Wister Roads

Wisterholic

Nov 28, 2019
Anyone have an update on the roads at Wister? I heard it rained again down there last night, is that true?

It rained off and on all day yesterday in the valley. I was not duck hunting. The north end seemed a lot wetter than south end. Niland especially. On the way home on 111, I saw several "area road closed" signs on some of the refuge access signs off 111. That's all I can offer.

I know the campground is still a muddy mess. I was shoveling mud out from around the decoy trailer in an attempt to move it when is saw the snowcat tow rig being hauled down Davis rd. Somebody had a costly experience

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On Wednesday, there were 6 people stuck on Honker road. I was there Saturday. Davis looked bad. I picked Y15A2. So, I took the 111 to Beach to get to the parking lot. I didn’t want to risk it.

The hunting was bad. Very few birds. Not much shooting going on. Never fired my gun.

Wister is not the same place it was a decade ago. With the reality of a shrinking sea and poor refuge management, I don’t know if the good hunting days are coming back.

Reactions: chessie and TRICER
Not sure about last night but it rained Friday night and most of the day Saturday. On Friday afternoon before any rain the roads were worse than Wednesday when I left. I thought a couple days would help but clouds and no wind didn't help.

Ok,. I was South of the U's at Wister. Very little rain Friday night. No rain before 9:30 am on Sat. The roads I drove on were dryer than the Sat before. I heard more shots from Wister this last Sat than the Sat before.
The birds ARE down. The sea is covered with ducks.

Roads were fair on the south side of wister. Hunting was not. Only took two shots all day Saturday. Heard very few shots in the area. Rain started as we were leaving.

Ok,. I was South of the U's at Wister. Very little rain Friday night. No rain before 9:30 am on Sat. The roads I drove on were dryer than the Sat before. I heard more shots from Wister this last Sat than the Sat before.
The birds ARE down. The sea is covered with ducks.
You were on Wister or your club? I was south of the U's also. Noffsinger was disaster when I left and it rained for many hours after. I'm sure Alcott was worse but didn't have to drive it. Trucks got stuck on Honker, Davis and Scaup that I know of. Not sure about the amount of shooting you heard but it was the biggest crowd since the opener. Hunting was much slower that last Saturday or Sunday for that matter.

It was the biggest crowd I had seen at the check station since the opener for me too. I was so surprised to see people picking blinds that would require driving on known bad roads. They even warned people that the roads were bad. I was seriously considering walking in if I didn't get the spot I wanted.

At shoot time, there was nothing in the air.

You were on Wister or your club? I was south of the U's also. Noffsinger was disaster when I left and it rained for many hours after. I'm sure Alcott was worse but didn't have to drive it. Trucks got stuck on Honker, Davis and Scaup that I know of. Not sure about the amount of shooting you heard but it was the biggest crowd since the opener. Hunting was much slower that last Saturday or Sunday for that matter.

I was at a club in between Noffsinger and Alcott off of English. Guess I'm fortunate that the main road I travel was in such good shape. Though I didn't hear slot of shooting, it was more than last Saturday IMO. There were no ducks where I was

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu