Worms in deer meat

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

Hey Guys,

I was getting some meat ready for some jerky and saw what I think was a worm in the meat? The meat has been frozen for about a month now and while I was cutting it into chunks I noticed 1 was able to pull what was there out about 1/2 inch long. Is this extra protein :)or does the meat get tossed? :'(

thanks
rick

well good chance the the meat is infected with worm, best to cook at high temperture. instead of smoked jerky.
my thoughts. standard freezer does not get cold enough. recomended -4 F for 7 days or -40 for 15 hours.
just like pork my freind it must be treated carefully. or cooked well done..

thanks guys for the replies... I went ahead and skipped making jerky and put it back in freezer until more info came up. Here is a pic of what it looked like, not as long but same kind and only seen one so far.. pic is off of interweb.

Attachments

• IMG_20131025_202641_zps5ad0fc74.jpg
    IMG_20131025_202641_zps5ad0fc74.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 37
ivhunter said:
thanks guys for the replies... I went ahead and skipped making jerky and put it back in freezer until more info came up. Here is a pic of what it looked like, not as long but same kind and only seen one so far.. pic is off of interweb.
IVH, are you sure that's not just tendon? Deer meat is very lean and most cuts have a lot of gristle that can ball up and/or become stringy even if you are using a very sharp knife. What part of the deer's anatomy are we looking at? Knowing the muscle group will tell you how the tendons would be distributed in the meat.
I'm not aware of any parasite that would course through meat and leave no trace of damage in the surrounding flesh. But if you decide not to eat that cut, I'd be happy to take it off your hands

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu