Youth shotguns?

Nuevo

Dec 28, 2018
Disclaimer: this is not a WTB ad, but if you have what I’m looking for, pm me.

I have two young daughters and they both want to hunt. I bought them a Daisy red rider BB gun to learn skills and safety, but I want to move them up to shotguns.

I really like the Mossberg Bantam model as you can add to the stock as they grow. I think this would be ideal for them to start on, and could easily last them into adulthood.

The dilemma: I CANT FIND ANY!!
The current situation has pretty much any reasonably priced shotgun sold out and no backorders. I’ve called around, but all I could find are $1000+ guns. I’m not spending that kind of cash on a kids gun, especially two of them.

Sorry for the rant, but if you’re still reading, I’d like some suggestions. I don’t know what to do, and. I’d like to get them started soon.

Those youth model shotguns are short and light so they fit the smaller frame kids better but just a heads up they kick like a mule. Nephew had the mossberg bantam in 410 it wasn’t bad bought the 870 youth 20 for my daughter too much for her. But my nephew did enjoy it but he also doesn’t care about the kick only if he got the bird or not.

Those youth model shotguns are short and light so they fit the smaller frame kids better but just a heads up they kick like a mule. Nephew had the mossberg bantam in 410 it wasn’t bad bought the 870 youth 20 for my daughter too much for her. But my nephew did enjoy it but he also doesn’t care about the kick only if he got the bird or not.

You’re nephew sounds like me as a kid. I started off with a 12 gauge NEF single shot. That thing felt like a mule team lined up to kick you! That said, I don’t think my daughters would enjoy that, and I certainly don’t want to scare them from shooting. I thought about a .410, but my concern with them is cost, available ammo, and the ability to hunt with it. I’ve seen adults successfully hunt with a .410, but I’m not sure kids would do as well with it.

Don't worry about the kick with that .410 Bantam when hunting as they are going to be shooting 3" shells with STEEL. My daughter was worried about increased kick when stepping up to 3" shells and the first time she shot she said the recoil was less then the 2 1/2's. I shot it and it felt like nothing to me with steel shot. Also I find .410 shells the easiest and cheapest to reload by hand as the only real reloading tool I have to do it is a scale for powder and a resize if you are going to use them in a different gun. Everything else is just simple stuff I made or creatively repurposed like drill bit extension and 7mm/.264 cases, etc.

Ammo and guns are hard to find right now in general. Nobody has the steel shells I would want for dove or quail now in 12g either... I'm decently stocked up with 700 or so but SOL for others that aren't.

I’m not worried about the recoil of a .410, I’m worried they won’t drop anything. I have also shied away from . 410 because of the cost, but if I can reload them by hand, that might make it worthwhile

Reactions: MAG 1
I have purchased two rifles and three shotguns in the last year. I have scoured the web looking for the best place to buy.

https://grabagun.com/

Best prices, great service, and constantly updated stock. Also, you can create a wishlist, and as weapons come available they will notify you. You will also want to invest time in looking for an FFL in your area. DO NOT USE Bass Pro - lines are hours long.

I have noticed they don't have the best inventory from Sig Sauer, so there may be some manufacturer variation, but I think they are the best place to start. Here are some sub $1k in .410 and 28 GA

I hear what your saying shells are more expensive and trying to find anything larger than 6 shot is a miracle. But it took a few years for my daughter to enjoy shooting again after the 20 experience. And I will say it was my fault trying to rush her into a 20. I now have a over under 410 and 20 which she loves to shoot both but i got lucky she would even try again. Nephew did kill quite a few birds with the 410 and I believe it was more important for him to shoot without flinching while he honed his skills

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu