$1000 budget

Feb 10, 2015
Hello fellow hunters. Let me start by saying I'm not new to hunting but due to financial reasons in the past I had to sell my hunting rifle. I have been shooting coyotes with my AR but I miss my bolt gun. I'm in search of your opinions, I need a new rifle and scope and my total budget is $1000. I have never bought a budget gun but it's not entirely out of the question. I don't want to buy a top end rifle and sacrifice the glass quality. On the other hand I want a gun that is going to be reliable and never let me down.

I have a few must haves. I want the gun to be a product of the USA, it must be free float. Weight is not a big issue as I'm a big strong corn fed American and can handle carrying a heavier rifle if need be.

If I missed any pertinent info feel free to ridicule me. Lol

Thanks in advance.

Ruger American. Their very accurate, Both of mine shoot under a MOA. you can buy a drop in wood or laminate stock from Boyds if you feel the need.

Ruger American for under $500.00 is a nice rifle......Leaves you $500.00 for a good Leupold.......2 cents.

ps......I bought my daughter a .243 Savage Axis this summer for under $400.00 with Bushnell scope.......Shoots straight as a string........ ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9247.JPG
    IMG_9247.JPG
    784.8 KB · Views: 48
You can find the Savage Trophey hunter XP for around $500 also. It comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC retical. I paid a little over 5 for mine.

Just to agree with everyone else my second choice would be a Ruger American but you could get that set up done for around $800 with a VX2. Go hold them both I think ranking lower priced rifles from what I have been looking at it Goes #1Tikka #2ruger American #3 savage Axis. Everything about the Tikka feels better to me. I am in the market right now for my wife and it will be an American or a Tikka if I want to spend a few hundred more bucks.
Sprig how do you like that .243 for your daughter. I am kicking around .260 25-06 and .243 for my wife. Is she shooting a youth or full size? My wife is 5'6" 110lbs so recoil is obviously a huge factor.

Drew,

Stefanie is only 5-2 and a 105 lbs......So recoil was a big deal to us too......I bought the .243 and Fusion ammo for this reason......Even practicing was no problem (used a sled 1st).....We got the adult size. Kind of wish we could've got the youth rifle. It's slightly long for her. Your wife being taller shouldn't have a problem.

At the moment of truth, she won't feel anything other than total excitement...... ;)

Hands down!

Tikka T3
Leupold VX-1 3-9x40

Under $1K out the door @ Fine Firearms (includes mounting of scope and laser bore sighting)...

NBK said:
Hands down!

Tikka T3
Leupold VX-1 3-9x40

Under $1K out the door @ Fine Firearms (includes mounting of scope and laser bore sighting...

There you go................... 8)

Hunttheamericandream said:
I have a few must haves. I want the gun to be a product of the USA, it must be free float. Weight is not a big issue as I'm a big strong corn fed American and can handle carrying a heavier rifle if need be.

I don't think the Tikka Meets this requirement

You should be able to pick up a Ruger American for less than $400 with taxes and paperwork. Ruger will send you a cheek pad for free. Leaves plenty of funds for an outstanding scope. Get a sling and swivels and some ammo, and you're ready to go! If you're in the S.W. Riverside County area and want to squeeze off some 308 with a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC, let me know. I clap targets out to 450 yards (as long as they aren't a coyote on a full sprint) ;)

NBK said:
Ok Then do the Remington 700...

I like where John is going with the Tikka and the 700. The thread is $1,000 budget so if you really want to spend $1k you can get a lot better gun than an American. I think it's a great gun but not in the class of the Tikka or remington 700. I know you want an American made so scratch the Tikka and go with 700. You will have a high quality rifle that you can give your grand kids. Nice wood stock Leupold scope something that makes you proud not just another gun off the line. Again I think the American is a great rifle please don't think I am knocking it. I will own one soon but I dont want to spend $1k for a youth set up.

Just curious... does a 22" barrel vs a 24" barrel make it a youth gun?

8SteelTown said:
You should be able to pick up a Ruger American for less than $400 with taxes and paperwork. Ruger will send you a cheek pad for free. Leaves plenty of funds for an outstanding scope. Get a sling and swivels and some ammo, and you're ready to go! If you're in the S.W. Riverside County area and want to squeeze off some 308 with a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC, let me know. I clap targets out to 450 yards (as long as they aren't a coyote on a full sprint) ;)

I live in south Corona. I go out to steel peak quite a bit. Maybe we could meet up sometime.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu