$1000 budget

Truduct said:
NBK said:
Ok Then do the Remington 700...

I like where John is going with the Tikka and the 700. The thread is $1,000 budget so if you really want to spend $1k you can get a lot better gun than an American. I think it's a great gun but not in the class of the Tikka or remington 700. I know you want an American made so scratch the Tikka and go with 700. You will have a high quality rifle that you can give your grand kids. Nice wood stock Leupold scope something that makes you proud not just another gun off the line. Again I think the American is a great rifle please don't think I am knocking it. I will own one soon but I dont want to spend $1k for a youth set up.

I think the Tikka would be a great gun as well as the American but I think at the end of the day I will be much happier with the 700. Going with the 700 will still leave me with a few hundred left for the scope and if need be I can save for another month or so to get a scope just outside of my original $1000 budget.

Having said that I appreciate everyone's feed back and request one more opinion.....

What caliber?

30-06, 270, or 308?

TaftHunter said:
270 or 7 mag are my favorite calibers.

I lived in Idaho for a few years and as I recall the 7mm seemed to be the States flagship caliber.

What are the pros and cons to 7mm? I don't know anything about it.

I guess it might also be worth mentioning that I may end up moving back to Washington where I would not only hunt deer but elk and possibly black bear as well.

I love my .270........"Queen of the mountain guns".........Jack O'Connor

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFYQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fieldandstream.com%2Fblogs%2Fgun-nuts%2F2012%2F02%2Fjacks-rifle&ei=RLTsVLu_KcK0ggS-r4PADw&usg=AFQjCNEvv1sJLsuxhjJOyMAP4SpKQsYoTA&sig2=dXsRUvfdC6o9LKC_byhTdg&bvm=bv.86475890,d.eXY

That said I think the 30.06 is the best all-around caliber.......2 cents.

Pros, will kill anything you shoot at. Flat shooting. Plenty of loads for all kinds of hunting. Super accurate. Cons- nothing..
300 win mag is awesome too. Depends on what kind of hunting your going to do. Stay local for deer or travel out of state for elk? 7mm and 300 win mag and 270 win are just all around great guns. Can't go wrong with any of them

HAhaha - love caliber banter. The question that has gone unsolved until now.

Why of course - the .260 Remington. What else is there?

John,

I've read, heard, and had a friend have problems with his Rem 700 (it would go off when he took safety off).......Have these issues been ironed out...... :(

ilovesprig said:
John,

I've read, heard, and had a friend have problems with his Rem 700 (it would go off when he took safety off).......Have these issues been ironed out...... :(

I've had 2 do that. both were like 30 years old. Fixed one, the other I could not...

ilovesprig said:
John,

Yep...it was a maintenance issue. Dirt would get into the trigger and cause problems. Remington has had 2 recalls since and the new guns are good to go.

The Remington 700 action is the most produced sporting action in history and the most copied action in history. It has also won the most matches regarding action types. Pretty darn hard to beat a model 700!

NBK said:
HAhaha - love caliber banter. The question that has gone unsolved until now.

Why of course - the .260 Remington. What else is there?

John I was waiting for you to post that. I knew it was coming.

257 wby mag.......270 or the 06 if you don't want a 600yd gun

Here's one of many articles on the best bolt ACTION.......

http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm

I have a friend whose uncle has a half brother who has a cousin that shoots a .308. He said its a good caliber.

In my opinion, read again what Invisible Man posted. He steered you in the right direction. Let me know if you need me to mapquest directions for you. Ask for John at Fine Firearms. Best in the business....

MJB said:
257 wby mag.......270 or the 06 if you don't want a 600yd gun

Love my Model 70 and will never part with it (30-06).

Hey man,
I still live in WA and am moving to San Diego in a few weeks. I shoot a Rem 700 in .308 and it's never let me down. I've shot moose, elk, deer, antelope, yotes and bobs with it! Ammo is not hard to find and very little recoil. I shoot mostly archery anymore and was looking for a good just all around rifle. Definitely does the trick for me. Never one issue with its performance. I topped it off with a Buschnell Elite 4x10x50. Really like it!

MJB said:

Now that's funny. Old Chuck Hawks spewing the same rhetoric for decades. I wonder if he he even knows CNC machines exist.

Sorry Mark - I couldn't help myself.

Now, as an old guy who has a little experience being quoted out of context, I think it's only fair to point out the copyright date on that article: 2006.
;)

any one of those will do what every you ask of them it is more about shot placement. I recommend if you can shoot each one of the cals you are considering and then buy the one you can handle the best. That said I shoot an old S&W 7mm I've owned it since 95. I find it to be one nice shooting work of art.. So I am a 7mm fan..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu