2014 predator shayes11

shayes11

Nov 18, 2012
Escondido
Went out to sight in my new .17HMR this evening, ended up running out of sunlight so I figured I'd make some stands.

First stand, 15 minutes in I decided to mute the FoxPro and started dinking around with some calls on my lanyard. 4 minutes later a grey came hauling outa nowhere. Dropped him at 20 yards with my shotgun.

Second stand, didn't even bring the FoxPro. 9 minutes into my set I see one grey watching me about 100 yards out. A minute later I see another one behind it. The first one ended up coming into 20 yards and sitting down, the second hung up at 100. Dropped the closer of the two. Kept calling but he wasn't having any of it.

Headed home, didn't want to ruin a perfect 2 for 2. Might head out again tomorrow night.

image-24.jpg

Thanks everyone! They both came into a squeaker, but I was using a Primos Double Cottontail for the majority of the second stand.

shayes11 said:
Thanks everyone! They both came into a squeaker, but I was using a Primos Double Cottontail for the majority of the second stand.
cool. I always have my squeaker on me but always put it at the back of my mind for some reason. Nice job dude.

Well, would have been another perfect night if all of the animals would have cooperated...I guess that's why it's called hunting and not killing.

First stand called in two sets of eyes on Baby Cottontail. The two animals start heading towards eachother, all I hear is sticks breaking like something is running, then just the craziest cat fight you can imagine. After about 30 seconds, they split up and go their separate ways. One bobcat hangs up in the creek bottom but never offers a shot. I chased after him after a few and never got a shot...crazy!!

Second stand, 10 minutes into BC and I see really bright eyes about 150 yards out. 5 minutes goes by and it's closed to 100. Pull up the rifle and sure enough it's another bobcat. He started to bug out after a few more minutes so I took the shot, must have missed because I couldn't find any blood....I never said I was perfect... Haven't been that down in awhile! Looked for over an hour and killed my main light. Decided to call it quits.

Third stand, light dies. Call dies. So I break out the mini Maglite and the double cottontail. Call a grey into 5 yards. Have to scare him away so I don't blow him up. He turns around at 20 and I blast him.

Decided to call it quits and recharge for a few days!! No one was up when I got home so no trophy shot, just him about to get undressed.

image-25.jpg

I was just made aware that there is a coyote contest going on and that's why everyone's title is "2014 Predator (Name)." My bad, I was just trying to keep track of my hunts and not clutter the sub forum. I am not in the contest, never been much of a coyote hunter myself. The areas I call aren't really coyote friendly anyways.

shayes11 said:
I was just made aware that there is a coyote contest going on and that's why everyone's title is "2014 Predator (Name)." My bad, I was just trying to keep track of my hunts and not clutter the sub forum. I am not in the contest, never been much of a coyote hunter myself. The areas I call aren't really coyote friendly anyways.

HOLD ON..... so you're telling me that you don't even try to hunt coyotes, the areas you hunt aren't coyote friendly, but you drop them like crazy!!!! Shiiiiiiyt! All I want to do is kill some dang coyote and can't get on 1! You should be in the contest anyway... there's no pre-requisite.

8SteelTown said:
shayes11 said:

HOLD ON..... so you're telling me that you don't even try to hunt coyotes, the areas you hunt aren't coyote friendly, but you drop them like crazy!!!! Shiiiiiiyt! All I want to do is kill some dang coyote and can't get on 1! You should be in the contest anyway... there's no pre-requisite.

These three are all grey fox bud. I went back home in January and we got a coyote but I didn't take any pics. That's the last yote I've shot. I'm mostly just trying to fill my cat tags. We'll see! A few more weeks left.

shayes11 said:
8SteelTown said:
shayes11 said:

These three are all grey fox bud. I went back home in January and we got a coyote but I didn't take any pics. That's the last yote I've shot. I'm mostly just trying to fill my cat tags. We'll see! A few more weeks left.
Yep. Thanks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu