2022 NWTF TTU ROLL CALL

Anything will kill them, if they're close enough...My daughter has shot a plain Benelli full 20 gauge for years with Hevi-Shot 6's...Kills them pretty dead inside 40 yds.

Last year, I shot one with that same 20 with a Carlson's turkey choke and TSS #9's...DOA

I would personally recommend a turkey choke (lots of good one's out there) for turkey hunting...And as far as ammo, nothing better than TSS #7's or 9's... Hevi-Shot blend is a close 2nd.

.View attachment 53423
My turners had 5,6, 7 shot hevi shot TSS (that’s all they had). And I got a Carlson TSS Turkey choke on Amazon. Wanted to have both in time to pattern Saturday. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Anyone remember if there is cell reception?? I can't remember if there was last year..

We got a little one due in 2 weeks and the wife says I better have cell reception if im planning on being that far away in case she goes into labor..
Go hang out in the R2R booth the boys should have a battery pack if you need to charge your phone while you are up there

George,

Plenty of good cell service at the "Shaw"...March babies are awesome... ;)

Pew,

Hevi-Shot 5,6,7 blend is a great shell...Your TSS choke should be good...What's the constriction?...I use a Primos Jellyhead....665.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
George,

Plenty of good cell service at the "Shaw"...March babies are awesome... ;)

Pew,

Hevi-Shot 5,6,7 blend is a great shell...Your TSS choke should be good...What's the constriction?...I use a Primos Jellyhead....665.
Carlsons, Beretta/Benellli TSS Turkey Choke Tube, 12 Gauge.640 Diameter

This one, .640. They had a different one that’s .660 I could go with too.

Carlsons, Beretta/Benellli TSS Turkey Choke Tube, 12 Gauge.640 Diameter

This one, .640. They had a different one that’s .660 I could go with too.

OK...What you bought is tighter...I would not shoot anything bigger than 7's...My .665 is really made for lead, but it has pattern nice with Hevi-blend and TSS 7's or 9's...That .640 constriction is really made for lead shot...The hardnest of Hevi-Shot and TSS require a little more open choke...That choke also comes in a .660...Which is what I would exchange for or just buy it ($20.00).

ps...If you plan on shooting TSS 7's, 8's, or 9's...Then you should be fine

OK...What you bought is tighter...I would not shoot anything bigger than 7's...My .665 is really made for lead, but it has pattern nice with Hevi-blend and TSS 7's or 9's...That .640 constriction is really made for lead shot...The hardnest of Hevi-Shot and TSS require a little more open choke...That choke also comes in a .660...Which is what I would exchange for or just buy it ($20.00).

ps...If you plan on shooting TSS 7's, 8's, or 9's...Then you should be fine
Copy that, grabbed this one. Only one in stock for my beretta thats .660. Thanks for all the help!

Hevi-Shot is just a brand guys FYI
It is not of any specific density, hardness, or material. They sell steel, bismuth, tungsten alloys of varying density, TSS, and different combination blends of the fore mentioned.

Reactions: sportyg
Anyone know if this snow that is hitting close by the lake is actually going to stick? I’m already not excited about sleeping in a tent when it’s 18 degrees, if there is snow also, f’ that!

• Haha
Reactions: sportyg
La
Anyone know if this snow that is hitting close by the lake is actually going to stick? I’m already not excited about sleeping in a tent when it’s 18 degrees, if there is snow also, f’ that!
Lake Henshaw is one of the coldest places in San Diego county in the a.m. and yes there will be snow there tonight but should be gone by Saturday

Reactions: MasonP

Should be gone by Thursday...Henshaw shouldn't get much.......... ;)

Reactions: MasonP
You've taken up hunting. I say get used to crap weather and conditions. There will be times your out in the dark freezing your balls off and other times it'll be so hot you think you are going to melt. Sometimes in the same day.

You've taken up hunting. I say get used to crap weather and conditions. There will be times your out in the dark freezing your balls off and other times it'll be so hot you think you are going to melt. Sometimes in the same day.
I’m down with cold and hot (especially heat…love the heat, I miss the 120°+ Arizona summers) but only when I’m awake if I’m trying to sleep, it’s definitely annoying. Especially with this being my first tent camping situation. I’ll stock plenty of fire wood.

Get yourself a buddy heater, I doubt it will get down to 18 degrees there. If you hunt late season up north you will be camping in the snow or the rec area is Socal and you'll think 18 degrees is warm

I’m down with cold and hot (especially heat…love the heat, I miss the 120°+ Arizona summers) but only when I’m awake if I’m trying to sleep, it’s definitely annoying. Especially with this being my first tent camping situation. I’ll stock plenty of fire wood.

A good cot and pad are the key at night...Supposed to be around 20 degrees...Good sleeping weather....... :blush:

ps...A good camp fire at Cabin 13, with plenty of hot chili, brown, & Fire Ball........:yum

.turkey opener 2021 79.JPG

Find someone to split the cost of a cabin with if one is still available.
If you like the heat you need to move to the Palm Springs area.:jin:

• Haha
Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu