2022 NWTF TTU ROLL CALL

One criticism...... You know I'm an asshole so bear with me!

The food should be better.

A hell of a lot better.

One maj reason I hunt is the taste of the food is so much better.

For 10 I felt unsatisfied!

Reactions: MAG 1 and PewPew252

A hell of a lot better.

For 10 bucks, I felt unsatisfied!

Mark,

I will bring this up when we critique the event...I had a burger really late and just thought maybe there was nothing much left.

Any other complaints or issues from folks that attended?

ps...Your meal should've been free to all volunteers.

Regarding the food comments - I'm a local up here and live less that five miles from the Henshaw cafe. What used to be a great place any day of the week is not what it used to be to say the least and only open on select days. The sisters that used to own it did a stellar job, the current owners are no better than the place they have in Julian (poor) . Anyone would better served to go to Wynola pizza/bistro if you want quality and consistency at a comparable price (still not cheap up here) Not sorry for the nay say but the Henshaw cafe is not what it used to be...

OK...Mark's comment about the food is his opinion...I've asked others who ate earlier and had no complaints...For $10.00, you got a cheeseburger, chips, and a drink...They also had hotdogs, and chicken...Keep the comments for constructive criticism about the event...So, we can improve.

As far as the Lake Henshaw Cafe and it's owners...I'm not a local (40 minutes away), but I would venture to say that I eat at LHC more than most "Locals" by far...They are open 4 days a week during this time period because of lack of business on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and time available from employees...Covid has hit them hard too...Cooks are extremely hard to find and IMO, the one they have at LHC is very good...They have 2 waitresses, who can only work so much as well...Food costs are getting ridiculous and I think we all know what rolls down hill (FJB!)...Their prices are much inline with most any sit down restaurant around...I eat at Farmer's Bros. (basically fast food) here in Escondido once a week with the guys...Their cheapest breakfast is $12.50...LHC standard breakfast is $10.50 and omelets are a little less...The Chicken fried steak is $12.50 is outstanding...Check the prices at Farmhouse 78 in Santa Ysabel some time.

Their lunches are very fair in price and they use nothing but the best hamburger for their burgers...The price for a 1/2 lb cheese burger is $12.00...Check that with ANY other restaurant...I love their taco salads and they cost $9.95...Unlimited drinks are the same as any other place...$2.50.

Like many restaurants, they have struggled to just stay open...I for one, am thankful they are open at all...Please support when up there... :yum

Now, any other criticism of the event itself or something that could be added?

@ilovesprig - Steve

I wasn’t there this year unfortunately, I’m in DC for the trucker rally.the boys said it was a fantastic event this year just like last year. They said the turn out was great and the event is a must!

Great job to you and your team for putting this annual event together !

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
@ilovesprig - Steve

I wasn’t there this year unfortunately, I’m in DC for the trucker rally...The boys said it was a fantastic event this year just like last year. They said the turn out was great and the event is a must!

Great job to you and your team for putting this annual event together !

Thank you, Brandon...It is definitely a team effort with a lot of moving parts...There will be growing pains and we know this...Getting more support from our local businesses for the only event of it's kind in ALL Southern California will help.

Tim from Right 2 Bear was a pleasure to work with...Tell Drew we deeply appreciate his donation.

ps...Thanks for backing these great American's.... :clap:

Reactions: Stikbrandon
OK...Mark's comment about the food is his opinion...I've asked others who ate earlier and had no complaints...For $10.00, you got a cheeseburger, chips, and a drink...They also had hotdogs, and chicken...Keep the comments for constructive criticism about the event...So, we can improve.

As far as the Lake Henshaw Cafe and it's owners...I'm not a local (40 minutes away), but I would venture to say that I eat at LHC more than most "Locals" by far...They are open 4 days a week during this time period because of lack of business on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and time available from employees...Covid has hit them hard too...Cooks are extremely hard to find and IMO, the one they have at LHC is very good...They have 2 waitresses, who can only work so much as well...Food costs are getting ridiculous and I think we all know what rolls down hill (FJB!)...Their prices are much inline with most any sit down restaurant around...I eat at Farmer's Bros. (basically fast food) here in Escondido once a week with the guys...Their cheapest breakfast is $12.50...LHC standard breakfast is $10.50 and omelets are a little less...The Chicken fried steak is $12.50 is outstanding...Check the prices at Farmhouse 78 in Santa Ysabel some time.

Their lunches are very fair in price and they use nothing but the best hamburger for their burgers...The price for a 1/2 lb cheese burger is $12.00...Check that with ANY other restaurant...I love their taco salads and they cost $9.95...Unlimited drinks are the same as any other place...$2.50.

Like many restaurants, they have struggled to just stay open...I for one, am thankful they are open at all...Please support when up there... :yum

Now, any other criticism of the event itself or something that could be added?

You should have enforced the mask mandate, don't you know we're in a global pandemic with millions dropping dead every day!!?? Haha

You did a hell of a job Steve. I am sure it was a tremendous undertaking to line everything up so my hats off to you!

Maybe next year we could run through some role-playing scenarios where you have birds in different scenarios and how to structure different types of call sequences or setup strategies? I almost feel like a lot of those advanced calls got lost on me and I would be better off knowing just a few calls and how to apply them in a few common case scenarios. That may just be my limitations though and it was still great hearing the pros make all sorts of different calls.

- Adam

A hell of a lot better.

For 10 I felt unsatisfied!
The event was great, no complaints. Thanks for everything you guys do!

I do have to admit I paid for two of the lunch combos and didn’t really ask the price. I gave them a 20. Later on I said “oh shit I forgot to get my change” and I walked back and realized it was $10 each. I thought they would’ve been like $5. But times are tough, they have to make money, and I understand supply and demand is tilted in their favor at an event that far away.

Thanks again for the choke advice Steve.

Thanks guys...This is exactly what we're looking for...We do have a bit of a time restraint, but not like we did when the tune-up was at Lake Sutherland and San V.

I tried to add in different scenarios as we were between guest speakers...There are so many situations, but there are some that are very basic in turkey hunting.

I tried to emphasize the importance of scouting and this goes for any kind of turkey hunting...Finding birds is the #1, #2 is being a good woodsman, and # 3 is learning to call/knowing when to call.

Joe Slaton is obviously a world class caller, but I felt his presentation was pretty short...He demonstrated diaphragm calls and locator calls...Diaphragm calls are fairly difficult and somewhat hard to demonstrate...His owl hooter and crow call are fairly easy...Maybe, he was showing more on how to at his booth.

Josh Kettl talked way more in detail on what call was being used for in different situations...He demonstrated pot calls and box calls...I know he added some different scenarios for each calling sound...It was easier for me working with Josh as well, since I've hunted with him for so many years.

Thanks again guys... :blush:

Reactions: MasonP and 180ls1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu