Anyone want to be my friend? :D

jordant3

Oct 8, 2015
Menifee
Hey everyone! My name is Jordan and I am new here! I have been shooting for a while but recently have picked up this new hobby. Very new to hunting. Recently just completed my HE course and am looking to dove, quail and duck hunt ( or anything really). I purchased a Winchester SXP and am really excited to use it! I went shooting out at the redlands shooting range had a blast and really fell in love with my new gun! I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and others I am really trying to figure out how to hunt and do it correctly. As you could imagine I have a plethora of questions I could easily unload on you guys. But I don't expect any "hand-outs"
Although I don't know anyone out in my area (Menifee/Temecula) that hunts. So I have been really trying to do everything on my own. I am originally from San Diego and all of my friends out there shoot but do not hunt and/or are not very serious about it (currently trying to convince them to go with me). I really love everything about this sport and am really looking to dive head first into hunting. I have gathered that what you get is what you put into it so... I plan on going out tomorrow morning to scout the French Valley area, and try to figure out how the boundaries on the maps from the CDFW work and all of that. I've read a lot on people going out to IV to hunt Dove and that its amazing so I might go out there to check it out 18,19 of this month. I have family that lives in AZ, I talked to them and I will be going out there 23,24,25 of this month to hunt quail for my first time and hopefully learn a few things. I plan on going as much as possible as long as the season lasts and beyond because I know there are a few other year round animals I can take as well, So I will be looking into that. Well Just wanted to say Hi! Looking for some new friends! If anyone is willing to let a young guy tag along please let me know! I am very open to learning new things or taking advice my ears and eyes are wide open and I appreciate anything and everything in advance thank you!

Welcome to the SCH website and forum Jordan! There is a mass of information and good folks on this forum. Enjoy...

Welcome Jordan. I shoot at the Redlands park just about every week. Most of my time right now if focused on deer. But next time your going to head to Redlands maybe we can meet up and shoot a few rounds of trap.

Jordan,

Welcome to SCH.......Many great threads about the species you mentioned.......Ask lots of questions and we'll try to help you the best we can......Since you live in Menifee. It may be a good thing to take a drive to the San Jacinto W.A. near Perris.....Tom (manager) likes helping young & new hunters......Good luck.

ps.....Did someone say "plethora?"

.https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik

Haha.
Anyway Jordan, welcome to SCH. It's great that you are going to get out with your cousins this month, and that you are willing to put in the work on your own to scout some areas. What gear are you taking with you to AZ? Post a list and you'll get suggestions on what to add so you won't have to mooch off your family too much. ;)

Jordan,
Make sure you're careful with the French Valley WA. It's a lead free zone now. Also, there is ZERO hunting allowed before or after dove season. Make sure you check out the "check in" station to be sure but last time I went there, it was so. Also no rifle hunting at French Valley (just an FYI, no rifles allowed per Riverside County ordinance within 1 mile of an incorporated city). Local hunting for us in Riverside County is difficult and the legal locations change from year to year. I've lost 6 dove spots since last year and only expect that to continue. Good luck.

NBK said:
Welcome to the SCH website and forum Jordan! There is a mass of information and good folks on this forum. Enjoy...

Thank you! I love everything so far just filling up my brain with this wealth of knowledge!

Nicholas909 said:
Welcome Jordan. I shoot at the Redlands park just about every week. Most of my time right now if focused on deer. But next time your going to head to Redlands maybe we can meet up and shoot a few rounds of trap.

Thank you we definitely should link up it would be nice to have someone to shoot with!

ilovesprig said:
Jordan,

Welcome to SCH.......Many great threads about the species you mentioned.......Ask lots of questions and we'll try to help you the best we can......Since you live in Menifee. It may be a good thing to take a drive to the San Jacinto W.A. near Perris.....Tom (manager) likes helping young & new hunters......Good luck.

ps.....Did someone say "plethora?"

.https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik

Haha love the video! I will have to go out and check San Jacinto. Thank you I will be checking out the other threads first before I start posting my questions I am sure a lot people have asked similar ones so I don't want to duplicate them.

Bonejour said:
Haha.
Anyway Jordan, welcome to SCH. It's great that you are going to get out with your cousins this month, and that you are willing to put in the work on your own to scout some areas. What gear are you taking with you to AZ? Post a list and you'll get suggestions on what to add so you won't have to mooch off your family too much. ;)

Thank you! Yes, I absolutely don't mind scouting I am sure it's a lot better than just picking an area on the map and hoping for the best. For my AZ quail hunt here is the list of what I will be bringing with me;

Shotgun - Winchester sxp
Ammo - not sure if I need steel or lead is ok I will have to double check
Proper hiking/ hunting boots
Proper clothing multiplayer layers of clothing I'm not too sure how the weather will be out there
Shell/ game bag ( have not purchased this yet )
And some sort of blaze orange ( hat, bag, shirt ) I'm not sure yet

Please let me know if I am missing anything else I also have a backpack that has a small survival pack and medical supplies in it.

8SteelTown said:
Jordan,
Make sure you're careful with the French Valley WA. It's a lead free zone now. Also, there is ZERO hunting allowed before or after dove season. Make sure you check out the "check in" station to be sure but last time I went there, it was so. Also no rifle hunting at French Valley (just an FYI, no rifles allowed per Riverside County ordinance within 1 mile of an incorporated city). Local hunting for us in Riverside County is difficult and the legal locations change from year to year. I've lost 6 dove spots since last year and only expect that to continue. Good luck.

Thank you for the heads up I will have to make sure I switch my ammo out from lead to steel. Is the check in station in the wild life area or is it a phone call I will have to make? I live off Newport rd in menifee and I know there are tons of local farms right next to my house, is it possible to hunt on their land? Assuming I have written premission? How would one go about getting premission just walking up to their door and knocking on it, introducing myself and going from there?

jordant3 said:
8SteelTown said:
Jordan,

Thank you for the heads up I will have to make sure I switch my ammo out from lead to steel. Is the check in station in the wild life area or is it a phone call I will have to make? I live off Newport rd in menifee and I know there are tons of local farms right next to my house, is it possible to hunt on their land? Assuming I have written premission? How would one go about getting premission just walking up to their door and knocking on it, introducing myself and going from there?

I'll send you a p.m. I'm off Railroad Canyon... I won't post local secrets online where Joe Blow can find it without doing leg work. The check in station is right off Buck road. 1 side is off limits to hunting and typically is a hot air balloon launch site. The other side of buck road (west side) is the legal hunting side.

jordant3 said:
Bonejour said:
Haha.

Thank you! Yes, I absolutely don't mind scouting I am sure it's a lot better than just picking an area on the map and hoping for the best. For my AZ quail hunt here is the list of what I will be bringing with me;

Shotgun - Winchester sxp
Proper clothing multiplayer layers of clothing I'm not too sure how the weather will be out there

Please let me know if I am missing anything else I also have a backpack that has a small survival pack and medical supplies in it.
I'll add the obvious but often forgotten.. water, TP, and hunting license. Also a ziploc and knife/shears if u use em for cleaning birds.

jordant3 said:
Bonejour said:
Haha.

Shotgun - Winchester sxp

Good list......I might had a couple of thoughts......

No need for steel (it's Arizona, not commiefornia).

I like the shell belts in most situations, but good vests are nice to have as well.

Snake gaiters are a nice insurance item.....Big boys are very common in 'Zona (well, everywhere in the west).

I don't wear blaze orange much (hat), unless I'm hunting near other friends or pheasant.....Gambel quail have good eyesight.....I like sneaking up on coveys, if possible..... ;)

ps.....One other little tip about quail hunting in general.....Unless you have a dog, shoot them one at a time.....They blend in with the habitat unbelievably. Mark the spot, go right to it.....They're almost always farther than you think....2 cents

Attachments

• quail 2010 008.JPG
    quail 2010 008.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 13
  • quail 2010 010.JPG
    quail 2010 010.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 12
  • quail 2010 012.JPG
    quail 2010 012.JPG
    886.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 12
  • quail 2010 005.JPG
    quail 2010 005.JPG
    897.4 KB · Views: 9
SurfNHuntSD said:
jordant3 said:
Bonejour said:
Haha.

Shotgun - Winchester sxp

I'll add the obvious but often forgotten.. water, TP, and hunting license. Also a ziploc and knife/shears if u use em for cleaning birds.

Yes absolutely I didn't even think about TP I will definitely add it to my list. I have a knife in my backpack so that covered and as for hunting license I will need to get that in AZ I am assuming

ilovesprig said:
jordant3 said:
Bonejour said:
Haha.

Shotgun - Winchester sxp

Good list......I might had a couple of thoughts......

No need for steel (it's Arizona, not commiefornia).

I like the shell belts in most situations, but good vests are nice to have as well.

Snake gaiters are a nice insurance item.....Big boys are very common in 'Zona (well, everywhere in the west).

I don't wear place orange much (hat), unless I'm hunting near other friends or pheasant.....Gambel quail have good eyesight.....I like sneaking up on coveys, if possible..... ;)

ps.....One other little tip about quail hunting in general.....Unless you have a dog, shoot them one at a time.....They blend in with the habitat unbelievably. Mark the spot, go right to it.....They're almost always farther than you think....2 cents

Thanks I will have to look into a vest! I didn't even think about protecting myself from snakes I used to live out in Descanso so I have seen my fair share of rattlers ( seems like so many things slip your mind when trying to get prepared).

I will be bringing orange because I know it will be a group of us hunting so just in case I rather have it then need it.

Thanks for the tip on shooting one at a time I will definitely keep that in mind and make sure I am able to pick every bird up!

The great thing about AZ is you can buy a license online and print it out at home. Print a few copies and keep them handy.

jordant3 said:
SurfNHuntSD said:
jordant3 said:
Bonejour said:
Haha.

Shotgun - Winchester sxp

Yes absolutely I didn't even think about TP I will definitely add it to my list. I have a knife in my backpack so that covered and as for hunting license I will need to get that in AZ I am assuming
Yea man having the TP on hand will save your butt (no pun intended). I usually keep a little bit in a small ziploc, which keeps it dry and from unraveling. If you're in a pinch (pun intended), a big handful of sagebrush can do the trick too. TMI?

FV usually has no birds hit the BLM land around you for some quail & bunnies

And hit the 5 stand off Winchester rd. I think they are open Thursday night and Saturday the owner is a good guy and of course a great shot talk to the guys there about hunting your bound to find someone to help you.

Also read the hunting regs from cover to cover and keep a copy with you so if a warden comes up and ask you a bunch of questions your prepared. Dustin, is one of the wardens in your area he's a great guy and a hunter with some good info on local game to hunt.

Baby wipes are a must to go with the TP

Jordan, either a vest or belt is good. In warm weather a belt or fanny pack is a little more comfortable for carrying shells, empties and birds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu