Ballistic coefficient

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient

this why we need to pay attention to the B.C.

a quote from wikipedia

A bullet with a high BC will travel farther than one with a low BC because it is affected less by air resistance, and retains more of its initial velocity as it flies downrange from the muzzle (see external ballistics).[10]
When hunting with a rifle, a higher BC is desirable for several reasons. A higher BC results in a flatter trajectory for a given distance, which in turn reduces the effect of errors in estimating the distance to the target. This is particularly important when attempting a clean hit on the vital organs of a game animal. If the target animal is closer than estimated, then the bullet will hit higher than expected. Conversely, if the animal is further than estimated the bullet will hit lower than expected. Such a difference from the point of aim can often make the difference between a clean kill and a wounded animal.
This difference in trajectories becomes more critical at longer ranges. For some cartridges, the difference in two bullet designs fired from the same rifle can result in a difference between the two of over 30 centimetres (12 in) at 500 metres (550 yd). The difference in impact energy can also be great because kinetic energy depends on the square of the velocity. A bullet with a high BC arrives at the target faster and with more energy than one with a low BC.
Since the higher BC bullet gets to the target faster, there is also less time for it to be affected by any crosswind.

Ghost

This is the very reason that the 6.5mm or .264" bullets are the holy grail of BC! So now go buy a .260 Rem and live the dream of ballistic efficiency!

if god had wanted you to shoot a 6.5mm he would not have made 6mm....just saying

Aeon said:
if god had wanted you to shoot a 6.5mm he would not have made 6mm....just saying

Lungpopper said:
Aeon said:

Or 338 ;)

Ha ha...its all in the math boys. You all know it and so do I! .260 Rem or bust...

NBK, 260 might be the next gun I build up. I just finished my 7 mag, and I love it. But from what I've heard the 260 is the way to go..

NBK said:
Aeon said:

Lungpopper said:
Aeon said:

Or 338 ;)

Ha ha...its all in the math boys. You all know it and so do I! .260 Rem or bust...

It really is on my wish list.

I say a 26 Nosler and replace barrels as necessary or the 6.5 Saum NBK commented about that GAP is building. If you hunt big country and have the possibility of long shots its what you want, like NBK said "do the math". ;)

Lungpopper said:
So now we know what BC is. What's the BC of the bullet you're shooting?

LP

the .338 lapua is ON my wish list. please do give information. like availability, cost. what rifle manufacture, what program used to make the cheat sheet cards. for MOA changes do to distance, windage, temperature & on
Thanks
Ghost

Hey Gost I'm shooting a Browning A bolt .338 win mag. I use iStrelok on my phone for the ballistic chart and the calcs.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    97.6 KB · Views: 129
Ok - class is in session. A lot of people wonder why I am such a 26 caliber fan (6.5mm). Here is the science.

Lungpopper's load above is:

Action: Long
Powder charge is somewhere around 70 grains
Bullet: 210 grain
BC G1 = 0.482
Velocity Average is 3000 FPS
Muzzle energy is a whopping 3652 Ft. LBS

In the first example below I have inputted this .338 data into a Ballistic program.

In the second example I have inputted data from the 6.5mm GAP (SAUM)

Action: Short
Powder charge is somewhere around 61 grains
Bullet: 140 grain
BC G1 = 0.612
Velocity Average is 3250 FPS
Muzzle energy is 2952 Ft. LBS

Ok - the .338 uses 15% more powder but produces 20% more muzzle energy. But here is where the magic begins:

At 700 yards the .338 starts to lose gas and the 6.5 takes over.

At 1000 yards the 6.5 still has over the required 1000 Ft. LBS of energy to kill big game and over 15% more energy than the big .338. It also has 30% less bullet drop (80" less drop). It is simple math.

It does it with less powder, less recoil, 33% less bullet weight and in a small action.

I am not knocking the .338 or any other caliber. The .338 is an amazing cartridge, just pointing out how efficient the 6.5mm bullet is.

Check it out...

Attachments

• 338ballistics copy.jpg
    338ballistics copy.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 264ballistics.jpg
    264ballistics.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 233
If your going to step up your (260) to the 6.5 gap. I think you should compare it to the lapua with the 300 gr

Now take your 260 to Alaska bear hunting. .338 1 gun does it all.

Lungpopper said:
If your going to step up your (260) to the 6.5 gap. I think you should compare it to the lapua with the 300 gr

Now take your 260 to Alaska bear hunting. .338 1 gun does it all.

This proves my point exactly.

The only thing the .338 Lapua has on the 6.5 is more energy at target. The 6.5 still shoots 26% flatter or has 65" less drop at 1000yards. And it arrives at and beyond its 1000 yard target with more than enough energy to dispatch all North American game (less Brown Bear).

So the Lapua takes almost 3 times the size bullet to create more energy but still fails to match the 6.5's ballistics and that is what this thread is about.

Hunting bear at reasonably close ranges in Alaska is a different thread and comparing the .260 to the .338 magnum is not relevant. But the .260 does hold more "F" class records.

And yes I do agree the .338 is a one gun does all. But again, different thread.

Attachments

• Lapua1.jpg
    Lapua1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 235
The 260 is efficient and the 6.5 is a slick bullet. But nowadays elevation can be dialed in so shoot what prints the best with enough energy to get the job done.

I have no intentions of hunting with a gun that weighs 18-22 pounds (depending on class) and 30" barrels :eek: So F class means nothing to me ;). With your 6-7 pound 260 with 22" barrel it shouldn't mean anything to you either.

What is the BC of the bullet that you are actually using?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu