Ballistic coefficient

BC's in the bullets I am using are:

.338 WM = 0.482
300 WSM = 0.470
.270 Win = 0.496
.260 Rem = 0.412 (will be trying a new bullet this year that is lighter but has a BC of 0.424)

Below are the ballistics of a little tiny 95 grain bullet I am excited to try (loaded by monolithicmunitions.com). It should be spectacular on pigs and deer out to 600 yards.

Attachments

• 260deerkiller.jpg
    260deerkiller.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 214
Here is a simple comparison between the .260 Rem and the .338 Win Mag. I chose high B.C. bullets from the same manufacturer for both calibers using 24" barrels. These are factory loads so we would have an apples to apples comparison. Obviously both calibers can be pushed beyond factory velocities at equal levels. We also know that higher B.C. bullets can be found for both. This is a basic and accurate comparison.

As shown on the simple math tables below, as the distance increases (the magic starts at about 650 yards) the .260 starts to outperform the big magnum. The point here isn't that one cartridge is better than the other, it just accentuates how impressive the 6.5mm bullet is and how well the little .260 Rem manages it.

Tale of the tape:

Attachments

• 260vs338.jpg
    260vs338.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 260Mvs338W.jpg
    260Mvs338W.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 203
NBK as you stated the math doesn't lie. So my question is why do you keep changing bullets and BCs to prove your point. In you first example you used a Barnes BC against a Berger bullet BC to make your point in your favor. If you used a comparable bullet in either case (ie Barnes BC for the 6.5 or the Berger data for the .338) your pet caliber would have been beaten handily. School may be in session but I can still tell the difference between apples and oranges.

ok kids there is only one way to settle this..... The first Annual SCH shoot off. where your money meets your mouth :) maybe a range take over day some place we can let the big dogs stretch out and see who can shoot tiny holes at a long ways. Yes i will bring the .510 and prove that even with amazing BC. tonnage is still the winner

Aeon said:
ok kids there is only one way to settle this..... The first Annual SCH shoot off. where your money meets your mouth :) maybe a range take over day some place we can let the big dogs stretch out and see who can shoot tiny holes at a long ways. Yes i will bring the .510 and prove that even with amazing BC. tonnage is still the winner
I would go. Am I invited?
Ghost

yes they are two cartridges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Winchester_Magnum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Lapua_Magnum

and both are ridiculous unless you are shooting something that can eat you :) Don't get me wrong i love ridiculous

are there any other ranges in SD county that you can shoot to 600 yards mid range?

Over 800 yards looks like. Nice set up!
http://www.ncsapala.com

Sent via Tapatalk

not saying pala would not work but its very booked up. A spring fling on BLM land might be the only option to play at 1k

Aeon said:
are there any other ranges in SD county that you can shoot to 600 yards mid range?
South Bay Rod and Gun Club is the only one with a 300 yd range, and no others that I know of that are that long, south of Pala.

Sent via Tapatalk

300 is no fun.....hummm this might be more difficult than i thought.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu