Ballistic coefficient

I'm reopening this thread because I'm considering getting a 7mm mag with either Leupold Mark IV or Nightforce NXS scope. The idea is to get better energy delivery out to 800 yards. The Hornady 162 gr SST for 7mm mag has a BC of .550 which is pretty darn good. Thoughts on scope, rifle?

This is my 7 mag.. First off I love it! It is a Remington 700, stainless fluted barrel, timney trigger, bell & Carlson stock, using Barnes TTSX with h1000 powder, scope is a zeiss terra with the rz8 duplex. It's amazing, I haven't missed an animal yet with it.

Off the sticks at 450 yards I shot about a 7" 3 shot group, that's not an amazing group, but remember it's off the sticks.. Bench rest It could be a lot better, but who carries a bench into the field with them?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417812629.825912.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417812629.825912.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 29
Sweet rig. Rem 700 is definitely on the list. Garrett, how long is the barrel? 24"?
I like Zeiss glass, but I'll be dialing in elevations at those distances would prefer first focal plane reticle and either MOA or mil gradations on it particularly for windage.

Bonejour said:
Sweet rig. Rem 700 is definitely on the list. Garrett, how long is the barrel? 24"?
I like Zeiss glass, but I'll be dialing in elevations at those distances would prefer first focal plane reticle and either MOA or mil gradations on it particularly for windage.

Thanks! Great guns, I have 4 of em! It's a must to get a different trigger. Yes, 24". Oh okay.. This is my first "custom" build I have done, and I am pretty happy with it so far.

I'm getting ready to build up another Remington 700 7 mag for my dad.

7 mag is my go to rig for just about everything, I have stainless model 70 with a Leica 4-14 on Leupold double dove tail mounts with a synthetic stock from Lone wolf, the load for it is a Barnes 150 exiting the barrel at just shy of 3100, three inches high at 100, three inches low at three hundred and twelve low at 400. Never lost an animal with it

That sounds like an awesome rig Snake Charmer. I stopped by FF yesterday because John had a Sendero in the shop in .300WM. That rifle is even more bada$$ in your hand than on their (Remington's) website. John spent a lot of time with me going over options for optics as well as the rifle. I'm just about sold in the Bushnell Elite LRHS but will follow LP's lead and see what they come out with this spring. I would like a little more magnification range than 3-12x, and I hear they are coming out with 3-18x or so. In the meantime I will probably put my old Nikon 4.5-14x on the Sendero just to break it in till the new Elites come out in the spring.

Bonejour said:
That sounds like an awesome rig Snake Charmer. I stopped by FF yesterday because John had a Sendero in the shop in .300WM. That rifle is even more bada$$ in your hand than on their (Remington's) website. John spent a lot of time with me going over options for optics as well as the rifle. I'm just about sold in the Bushnell Elite LRHS but will follow LP's lead and see what they come out with this spring. I would like a little more magnification range than 3-12x, and I hear they are coming out with 3-18x or so. In the meantime I will probably put my old Nikon 4.5-14x on the Sendero just to break it in till the new Elites come out in the spring.

New toy,,,,, nice. Always fun to see what they will do.

Time to revive this post. I just want to point out that the two .338 long range fans have both built or have started to build 6.5mm and 7mm long range projects. With that said, there was a contest to be brought to light regarding long range shooting and .338's vs 6.5mm.

Darryl, it would be great if you could get with Bill to start organizing this project for the March/April time frame. Bill knows the range we can have it sanctioned. We can call it the "First SCH LR Shooting Tournament". We can make some different rifle and caliber classes and distances so all folks can participate. I will work on prizes.

This will give Lungpopper and Random shot a chance to show off their .338's wares...

More info to come...

NBK said:
Time to revive this post. I just want to point out that the two .338 long range fans have both built or have started to build 6.5mm and 7mm long range projects. With that said, there was a contest to be brought to light regarding long range shooting and .338's vs 6.5mm.

Darryl, it would be great if you could get with Bill to start organizing this project for the March/April time frame. Bill knows the range we can have it sanctioned. We can call it the "First SCH LR Shooting Tournament". We can make some different rifle and caliber classes and distances so all folks can participate. I will work on prizes.

This will give Lungpopper and Random shot a chance to show off their .338's wares...

More info to come...

Here I'll show off my .338.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gXZlpo_V9I

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu