Bear Defense

I am carrying a 44mag S&W model 69 combat with hard cast bullets on my chest in a custom gunfighters tactical harness. I will have bear spray on my pack hip belt as well. Also when me and LP talked to the transport they said don't bring bear spray they have cases of it and will give us as much as we want.
When all else fails I guarantee I am faster than you so I have that going for me.

Last edited:
Fascinating article. I think it has a lot to do w/where you spend time. I don't spend time in Grizzly country, so my concern is defending against black bears, mountian lions, and people. For that i usually carry my Glock 23. But i am definitely not a bear spray guy.

hoping @NBK will be able to get me some Buffalo Bore bullets in the next few months. Either hard cast or mono

I would be interested in reaching out to Hammer and getting jack hammers made. I haven't loaded pistol before but how hard could it be?

Reactions: TRICER
I am torn on gun harness. Not sure if I should get separate or one that is attached to my bino harness.

I am torn on gun harness. Not sure if I should get separate or one that is attached to my bino harness.
you can mess with my gunfighters harness it's rad it fits super comfortable behind my bino harness. Took a few months to get it. Mine is also left handed.

So you are telling me I need to buy a 44 mag? I guess my 40 cal will stay home.
Ha 40cal is better than nothing I guess. But I have no experience with shooting a charging Grizzly. I enjoy going to a place where this is actually a relevant conversation.
I can say that I like revolvers more then semi auto but that is just my preference.

Reactions: sportyg and NBK
Ha 40cal is better than nothing I guess. But I have no experience with shooting a charging Grizzly. I enjoy going to a place where this is actually a relevant conversation.
I can say that I like revolvers more then semi auto but that is just my preference.

Yeah, I get it. How would you do using the 44 mag on ptarmigan? I think this might be the year to buy a 10/22 breakdown.

you can mess with my gunfighters harness it's rad it fits super comfortable behind my bino harness. Took a few months to get it. Mine is also left handed.
On your Gunfighters harness, do you have to have it sit uncentered on your chest so you can access the handle easliy? I too have one, but it's for my Kimber Pro Carry and it's kind of hard to access the grip in between the bino harness straps.

I have the Razco attached to my Kuiu harness and like it so far.
@RKE I been looking at the Razco for my Kuiu harness. Can you comment on the ordering process? I think they changed their website and it doesn't list all of the options I recall seeing before.

@RKE I been looking at the Razco for my Kuiu harness. Can you comment on the ordering process? I think they changed their website and it doesn't list all of the options I recall seeing before.
If I recall, I had to purchase the universal mounting kit along with the Kuiu kit. But now it looks like you will only need the Kuiu harness kit. I did have to contact them as to how to attach it and they sent me a video. They have a great product, but not a great website or roll-out of said product. Attaching the harness included burning 2 holes through your bino harness with a nail (provided in the kit). Not a big deal to me, but it may be so some.

On your Gunfighters harness, do you have to have it sit uncentered on your chest so you can access the handle easliy? I too have one, but it's for my Kimber Pro Carry and it's kind of hard to access the grip in between the bino harness straps.
I don’t remember if I ordered it angled on purpose but it fits perfect behind my Kuiu harness could also just be the shape and size of the pistols. I imagine the revolver is easier to grab.

Damn. A couple of those stories are absolutely terrifying. Guy wrestling with a grizz having already shot it, has has hand and pistol in it's mouth trying to shoot and his friends come and shoot it too!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu