Bear down!

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
Welp I killed this public land bear right at sunrise this morning. This is the 3rd bear we have seen since Friday. Also saw 3 dead forkys hangin.

uja5a8ad.jpg

Okay guys, so last night my girlfriend asked me to take her up to try and fill her A-zone deer tag, and since I have been seeing a ton bear and bear sign this season I got my tag. My buddy told me yesterday night that they saw a bear where we were headed, so my hopes were up on possibly getting one. We left the house at 5 this morning. We decided to just try and get a buck off the road considering my girlfriend hasn't had much experience off the road. We got to our road at 6:30 waited for a little bit of light, then continued down the road so we could glass a spring that I know of for a little while, about 15 minutes later I see the bear right above the spring about 135 yards off of the road, I got out sat down, pulled the trigger and he dropped like a bag of rocks. About an hour later we saw another bear a little bigger then the one I harvested. Overall it was a great day!

Ps. It sucks so bad dragging a bear uphill, practically by yourself lol

Monolithic said:
Great harvest! More details please, what rifle, what load?

This gun is a Remington 700 7mm rem. Mag. , it has a bell & carlson medalist stock, fluted barrel, timney trigger set @ 2.0 #'s, pushing 150 gr barnes ttsx with h1000 powder, my scope is a zeiss terra 3x 4-12 x 42 (RZ8 reticle) on a one piece mount, I forgot the make/model of the mount.

Snake Charmer said:
Very Cool ! Congrats!, Looks like a mature one (grey face , big head, toenails etc..) From the back drop I'm thinking they are on manzanita berries or cactus whats the story?

Yes sir they are crawling all over the manzanita this year. This place is seriously loaded with bear! Guess there is a monster one that has been seen a few times in the area I killed mine. Hopefully one of my hunting partners tags him!

Outstanding job Taft! what a great bonus. Thanks for sharing the details.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu