Bowhunting Alaska

BOWUNTR

Nov 3, 2011
Anyone here hunt Alaska? I've been doing DIY bowhunting trips for a while and have become addicted to the place.... I have learned a lot and enjoy helping others out with planning their trips. So far I have done 7 trips and have two in the works. It seems overwhelming to go that far to hunt but realistically it isn't a whole lot more than doing a lower 48 hunt. I'm a middle class guy with a family so I've learned to do it on a budget. Here are some pics... Ed F

1784sitka_blacktail_zpsc235cb80.jpg

IMG_1174_zpsf774902e.jpg

31_zps323559c3.jpg

29_zps05de687e.jpg

Great photos. Looks like you have it wired. What are your favorite months to go?

My best hunts have been in September. Fall is in the air, weather is still good, animals are moving... It's a great time to be in Alaska. Ed F

Ed, I'm pretty sure I have read all these past adventures. They are all awesome!

Thanks for sharing the pics again.

Yep your Alaska adventure taught me to submerge the meat in a creek or lake.......and I use it all the time now to extend my hunts.

Thanks Ed!

Lungpopper said:
Great pics. That would be on my "someday list". On average how many days are your trips up there?

It varies.... I try to spend at least 7 days hunting and with two days logistics on each end to get in and out of the field. That translates in to 11 days. On one trip we hunted one day, killed two P&Y caribou and came home because of a serious family illness back home. On another trip I was away from home for 17 days because of great hunting and weather delays.

My two trips I am planning are 8 hunting days for caribou and 10 hunting days for moose.

You gotta have a family that supports this nonsense and a job that allows the time off. I'm fortunate to have both... Ed F

MJB said:
Yep your Alaska adventure taught me to submerge the meat in a creek or lake.......and I use it all the time now to extend my hunts.

Thanks Ed!

That method has enabled me to keep meat fresh for up to seven days. In all my trips.... we've never lost one ounce of meat to spoiling. Ed F

thanks for sharing some great photos would love to hunt alaska one day

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu