Butcher Recommendations

I don't know any processors up that way, but there is one in San Marcos, T&H Prime Meats.
When you find one up your way, please be sure to post a review. One tip: it's a LOT more expensive if you haven't boned out the meat, so I'd do that if you can before delivering the meat to the processor. Also they'll need a copy of the tag.
I made the mistake (once) of taking a pig with the bones in. When I got the bill, it was more than an elk that I'd previously had them process after I'd already deboned it. I asked why the pig was so dang expensive. He replied, "The bones are so hard to get out, it's like surgery!" I managed not to laugh in his face, but since then I do the "surgery" before I drop it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pomona meat locker. It's in a bad part of town but they do a good job. We have taken a bunch of pigs there and it's 89$ and they will do whatever you want with the meat.

I don't know any processors up that way, but there is one in San Marcos, T&H Prime Meats.
When you find one up your way, please be sure to post a review. One tip: it's a LOT more expensive if you haven't boned out the meat, so I'd do that if you can before delivering the meat to the processor. Also they'll need a copy of the tag.
I made the mistake (once) of taking a pig with the bones in. When I got the bill, it was more than an elk that I'd previously had them process after I'd already deboned it. I asked why the pig was so dang expensive. He replied, "The bones are so hard to get out, it's like surgery!" I managed not to laugh in his face, but since then I do the "surgery" before I drop it off.

Thanks.
That sounds like good advise.
My problem is I don't have any place to do that.
The wife would have a fit if I tried that in the garage.
Her meat comes wrapped in paper not on the hoof.
Can't do it in the field, it is a private ranch that won't allow leaving any more than guts.
I think I am kinda stuck.

Yeah you have to keep the wife happy. My wife said that too, initially, but now she's okay with it as long as I clean up afterward.

T
Fantastic.
That will be the place.
Thanks.

The old man who owns it is a super nice guy. But if he is writing down what you want down with the meat make sure you double check what he wrote down. He can't hear all that great and has done things other than what we have asked before. M he hasn't screwed anything up too bad. Just once or twice I thing he gave us our sausage in links when we asked for loose sausage so not a big deal. Just double check. Other than that they do a great job. I usually get mine freezer packed from them as well. It's a little extra but worth it in my opinion

Yeah you have to keep the wife happy. My wife said that too, initially, but now she's okay with it as long as I clean up afterward.

Geeze...

My wife cleans the sink in the kitchen and says, okay!, go do your cleaning.

Same with animal heads though. Hanging on the walls, antlers in the gardens, etc.

... but these are also in the front yard.uploadfromtaptalk1474315976458.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In regards to a LOT more expensive. What are you paying for a whole deer? I use to only pay like $90 for a deer in CA.

I have never had a game processor complain that an animal was still boned. Most of them show up that way. Although I could see the lower cost of course.

If I were to debone the meat, the hard part is done.

In regards to a LOT more expensive. What are you paying for a whole deer? I use to only pay like $90 for a deer in CA.

I have never had a game processor complain that an animal was still boned. Most of them show up that way. Although I could see the lower cost of course.

If I were to debone the meat, the hard part is done.

I agree with you. The pig was my brother's and I was going to ship it to him, so I got it processed for him as a favor. As a rule, elk is the only game meat that I don't process myself. I'll look up those receipts and get back to you. The cost for the pig was outrageous. I should have confirmed the price before letting them do the work.

I buy a pig from one of the kids at the East County JR Fair every year. One year I sent one up to T&H. They charged me $375 for a basic cut and vacuumed pack, sausage but no bacon. The other butchers I have used are usually $200 - $225 and they make sausage and bacon for that price. The cheaper guys that I have used don't do wild game.

Last edited:
I took my buck to Bree's Last year. Deer was skinned and gutted but not deboned. Think I paid $150 for steaks, roasts, burger, breakfast and Italian sausage. Everything was good and I though the price was fair. He does not have enough freezer room to let your deer hang to age though. In fact, I dropped the deer off at ~9am and he called me 5pm the same day to pick it up. So no aging but fast turn around time.

I think that is 2 confirmed places to get wild game butchered.

I called Pomona Food Locker this morning and spoke to a guy with an accent, must be the owner.
Said they would be happy to butcher a deer, if skinned about $99 if not more.
Gave me his hours and suggested if I called and came by on a Sunday morning he could meet me to receive it.
Nice guy

So it seems we have 2 good options, Garden Grove and Pomona.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu