Can any one help me name the guzzlers up on Palomar Mt?

Kevin,

Just walking by or flushing birds nearby, I think falls under the heading of the 30 minute rule, but who knows......A lot of confusing stuff in Cali.
Confusing is putting it mildly. A CNF ranger recently told me the 150 yd rule applies to any developed property in the forest, and that some rangers and wardens are interpreting that to mean any paved road. That leaves almost no huntable land in my area because the roads go through the middle of the few small areas flat enough to hunt.

In the IV being 50 yards from a road means half the guys shooting dove on opening day will be in violation. Some of the DFW's own fields are small and surrounded by roads. I guess we all have to huddle together in the middle of the field in order to stay away from the road? Oh but then we would be shooting away from the middle of the field and over the road.

Pass the Advil!

No Hunting within 150 yards of campgrounds, trails, fire stations, any national forest building, across any body of water, off-highway vehicle areas, and private property within the boundary of the Forest (unless the hunter has the permission of the property owner). Rifle, firearm, or crossbow hunting is not allowed at any time within the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area (only archery hunting during season).

Nick,

Wow!.....Don't think I've heard or seen this.....They could write a $hit load of tickets then.....Trails?....Deer trail?....Random trails?....150 yds. of private property boundary?.....90% of Cleveland is next to private property......Much of it unmarked......Across any body of water?.....Does that include rain water ponds, man-made ponds?.....Hell, I can think of a million spots that include this criteria.
When I saw this post I remember reading this on the website when I was hunting CNF often so I went back an found it.

Here in CO it is 50 ft from the centerline of a road. That's it from a parks and wildlife perspective. They have no 150 yard rule. It is just safe discharge, which could be ambiguous as well, but arguable in court.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No where in the county hunting regs does it say anything about shooting 50 yds from a road......But if you read the county ordinances.....This is stated, code 11.08.010.....Talk about speed traps.....lol

IMPERIAL COUNTY 2016 – 2017 HUNTING REGULATIONS SUMMARY

For complete hunting regulations see: www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting or fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current

SAFETY:

It is always unlawful to:

Hunt while intoxicated (FGC 3001);

Shoot at any game from a powerboat, sailboat, motor vehicle, or aircraft while under power or still moving from use of sail or motor (CCR T14-251);

Shoot any firearm from or across a public road (PC 374(c)).

It is unlawful for any person to hunt on private property without having the express written permission of the owner to do so.

It is unlawful to hunt or discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling without the person in control of the properties permission. (FGC 3004)

Imperial county code 11.08.010.....Discharge of firearms within fifty yards of any public highway.

It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or for any person, firm or corporation to cause or permit any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or firearm to be shot, fired or discharged upon, along, across or within fifty (50) yards of any state maintained highway or county paved or unpaved maintained highway except when necessary to do so in protection of life or property. (Prior code � 51400)

ps....The 150 yds includes archery equipment and it doesn't have to be an occupied dwelling.....:dizzy:

Last edited:
lets get this back on track...
just so we are clear here KS you said "Do we really think as the internet of things "

the IoT will not have any affect on guzzler locations. The IoT is a reference to everyday items becoming networked and communicating with the world over the interweb. So your toaster connected to the mother ship will not help you find that big 4x4 mount laguna buck.

why do we need to name them again?

hold on a second my cordless drill just got a text...

Last edited by a moderator:
just so we are clear here KS you said "Do we really think as the internet of things "

the IoT will not have any affect on guzzler locations. The IoT is a reference to everyday items becoming networked and communicating with the world over the interweb. So your toaster connected to the mother ship will not help you find that big 4x4 mount laguna buck.

Just say no to drugs..........:laughing:

So the people that had this cool data are now connected to the interwebs, via facebook, forums, instagram, etc... These people that can help but post their geotagged pics or give clues to locations of guzzlers or their honey holes for deer or turkey hunting. And because these wizards don't know how to hide info correctly, you can find documents on their blogs, websites and other places to fill in the pictures. Are the guzzlers IoT no , not yet, but maybe with game cameras, smart phones and people posting their locations the data is easier to find because people are more connected. It wont affect the guzzlers locations, but they will be easier to find, especially since people are posting the gps co-ordinates in the more recently either directly or indirectly.

Once you find these guzzlers you will notice game cameras, near by these once hidden spots. Then you can try to sneak up on the cameras and guzzler.

The names are just cool to have and I am a bit OCD, I not only try for the official name, but like to have pictures of the sites. I have reported damaged guzzlers to the proper govt agency.

"I have reported damaged guzzlers to the proper govt agency".

Why do you think old guys from Quail Forever are doing all the work and on their dime to fix guzzlers?....Government doesn't do $hit to fix or maintain them!

So for me this is not monetarily motivated. In a better world I would have it so if you provided a new guzzler location, you would get a version of of the current map after it was verified and added to the map.

I think QF should have more outreach on these projects to restore guzzlers. My son will be do his Eagle project in a few years and a guzzler or two would be perfect. Average Eagle Project is between $500 to $1500 and usually a bunch of man power provided by Scouts with a little guidance by QF. Think about it, it could replace a lot of lame Eagle projects.

A Boy Scout troop or Cub Scout Pack, or Girl Scouts could adopt guzzlers, help with yearly maintenance, study of wildlife, filling, build new locations, etc... Partnering with scouts could raise the level of wildlife restoration groups in the community, get groups of young hunters involved. QF, PF, DU or NWTF could do a lot more out reach to scouts. The unfortunate part of a lot of QF projects and even some projects like the San Jacinto WA work project is there arent any kids/young adults involved, I dont know if this is the fault of the organizations but I would think out reach would be a priority, and the first calls should be to the scouts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu