Can't find my buck!

So I get there around 1pm and meet Andrew he was a little worried which is normal but I was confident that we could find him, Zoe is 14 and 0 for deer so far so my hopes are high. The arrow has no blood but it had gone through the guts with a quartering towards shot behind the shoulder at 30yds. We start out letting Zoe do here thing she's all over the place with lots of deer tracks and cattle everywhere but no blood except at the shot site. We go down the wash and she's going through the thick stuff and I'm dumb enough to follow big mistake. So we are heading down the wash with really no luck of a true track and lots of sand and loose dirt with dead fall everywhere. We hit this barb wire fence and she's circling we go over the fence and she's still not on a solid track. She heads towards the hill side and going back to the shot site with no luck of a track. As I cross over the fence I smell deer just briefly with the wind going a different direction but the wind is strong and swirling so I can't tell where it's coming from. It's now been a good 30 minutes and it's hot so I let Zoe do here thing and she starts to backtrack towards the trucks.

I call her back and we work the other side of the wash where I smelled the deer but no love. I see Andrew and he's looking hard and I can understand the look on his face he's down that she didn't hit it right off the bat.....so am I!
The wind is gusting at a good 10 knots and Zoe is heading towards the other side of the wash that we came down but she's tracking the bovine up towards the house. I let her go and call here back to the trucks to get some water and let her cool down. I'm back at the shot site letting Zoe drink some water and catch her breath. In a few minutes Andrew shows up not looking very happy and we go over the shot and last direction he saw the buck. No blood and the tracks are in soft sand and can't tell much. We do another loop around the same area and nothing Zoe finds the bovine again and we head back to the shot site. We all take another break and decide to hit the area were we both smelled the deer knowing that's got to be him.

As we work that side of the wash and we get close to the barb wire fence I catch wind of the deer and so does Andrew. Zoe is circling around us so I guess we have to be close.
I stay in the spot I last smelled the deer and Andrew & Zoe walk the edge of the wash I see a game trail going up the hill and Andrew & Zoe follow it up the hill. The next thing I hear is HELL YA GOOD DOG.....Zoe is yelping as she found the deer in the bushes just above the wash 40yds from my position where I smelled him.

Needless to say Andrew had a big smile on his face! His first bow kill in the bag!

We get the deer to the truck put him on the back of the tail gate and Andrew quarters him up and away we go.........

We didn't gut it but looks like a small amount of the liver was hit due to the blood in the cavity and how close he was to the shot site. Good thing Andrew let him sit so he would lay down and bleed out

Congrats Andrew!

Well done guys! And hats of to Mark and his little ugly dogs. Those damn things are amazing!

I am also pleased that the SCH folks are always so willing to help each other. We have some cool folks on this site and it continues to grow in that direction!

NBK said:
Well done guys! And hats of to Mark and his little ugly dogs. Those damn things are amazing!

I am also pleased that the SCH folks are always so willing to help each other. We have some cool folks on this site and it continues to grow in that direction!
+1
Lots of karma in this story.

I wish I would of called for help with my buck I'm glad to hear there are guys like you out there! I lost a buck two weeks ago he ran across the road onto private property luckily I got permission to go look for him I shot him about 6:45 Saturday morning I knew something was wrong right away because it sounded like I hit wood and I saw the buck run away with the arrow bouncing off his antlers?
Scratching my head because everything had felt good about the shot except I didn't see (because of tunnel vision) a rotten oak shoot sticking out of the ground right were the buck was standing I had hit the shoot then the buck! I immediately felt sick! I started following the trail were he ran and found small amounts of blood about 50 yards away I tracked him down the hill and across the road and into a grassy meadow were the blood dried up. I kept searching the meadow all day just when I was almost ready to give up I found a small pool of blood about 200 yards away by now it was getting dark.
I searched again the next day until about 3:00 pm I had run out of water and it was scorching hot I had tracked him for over a mile and a half before I could no longer find any blood. The whole time I kept thinking I wish I had a blood tracking dog! I'm glad this gentleman found his deer! I still feel sick to my stomach about not finding mine I am hoping he had survived I never found the arrow and from what I briefly saw it looked like a lot of arrow flopping around I hope to never make that mistake again and I am praying he's still out there somewhere licking his wounds what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Hey, I'm mostly just an occasional lurker on here, not that I'm antisocial, it's just that I work too much to know anybody.
But after reading this thread I'm damn proud to see this site work like this, and damn proud to be a member.
Way to go on helping this guy, and way to go on swallowing your pride and callin out for help when you needed it, instead of letting the coyotes eat the deer.
Good hunters all the way round.

Great job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandog, you had a tough one, and it sure sounds like you put your due diligence in. It's a shame you didn't shout out to the members but, Hell!!! I've never heard of this idea before, and probably you haven't either! (What a great thing to have!!!)
If it's any consolation, just like that pic someone shared up above of a healed wound, I've seen many dead deer that carried a host of ugly scars that still had a helluva lotta fight in 'em, and I've heard a story of a big buck taken that had an inch and a half thick x 5 inch long tree branch in him that apparently had healed over a long time ago (must have fell off of something and got speared by a branch?) and That deer musta bled a lot when it happened but was hale & hearty as hell when killed years later.
-on the positive side, your pics didn't seem to show the pink tint of lung blood, and you had said something about the "arrow bouncing off the antlers" so...
A guess of course, but you may have given him a Nasty scalp wound.
If you've ever cut your head, you know how nasty that'll bleed, right? So we can just hope he's still ok, with a dueling scar to impress the lady's next year.
--Back to the original thread--
Thank you everyone for saving that deer. Having this site work that way really puts a smile on my face.

Glad Andrew and you found the deer. Makes me proud to be in a group of folks that are willing to help each other.

Marks story is spot on! When I first woke up that morning I was dragging me feet, contemplating if I should just go back to bed. Of course the hunter in me put that feeling back in the closet real quick. I got to where I was parking to walk into my blind. Once in the blind it was a slow start but for some reason the birds always make noises like there are deer right there but nothing. After sitting for a couple hours I heard them. It sounded kinda like a stampede . There was one , then two , then 10 . I counted a total of 20+ deer all 30 yards from me but not legAl buck. Then this buck came up as soon as everyone else had got a drink. At first I was going to let him walk but with a little buck fever and my future first bow kill in front of me I could not resist. I drew back, anchored in, then let one fly. With the unmistakable twack i knew I had hit him . I saw him run over under a tree where I confirmed I had hit him. The shot looked like a perfect lung shot. After a short minute he then took off with the rest of the deer down the drainage. Me being on cloud nine I called my buddy Cj to inform him on what just happened. After talking with him and checking my arrow I decided to give him a little while. After about 45 min I decided to take a look. When I first saw blood it looked really good. Then it slowly started to fade then nothing! I was worried . After talking to some buddies on what could have happened I decided to grid out from where I last saw blood. I could see nothing and I started to get really worried. Then I remembered SCH and posted this post up thinking I might get one guy to post something but to my surprise a lot more than that did. I kept grided the area with no luck and was becoming really worried at this time. I then checked SCH and to my surprise I had a pm from Mark, I gave him a call and he said we would meet at a location in Julian. About a hour later we meet up and I lead him in to where I last saw blood . Then they went to work. This way, then that way . We were looking hard and it was hot . Skipping ahead seeing as mark hit it right on the head with his story. When I came up the hill with Zoe there he was laying up under 2 bushes . I the. Yelled out to mark to let him know we had him. Man was I relived and stoked all at the same time. First archery buck down! I could not be more happy with this little guy. I would like to thank everyone on here for the support they showed . I can't believe how one forum can come together so much it is just awesome! I would like to give Mark and Zoe a shout out for coming out without a question truly awesome man! Now time to cook him up! Thanks again everyone for throwing motivation are way as we were looking hard for this buck!
03742a48881b975116131239ed533b11.jpg
a311da2d439f936f2e7d94d32b4fb01a.jpg
e3f9c78d00404f615b28ddc0cb04f19f.jpg

This is sooo awesome!! Obviously we all do our best to make sure we make an ethical shot but sometimes a simple can't of the eye makes your shot a few inches back........ It's piece of mind knowing that the great people in this community rally together to wen a fellow hunters back is against the wall!!!! This is an awsome family to be a part of

I know first hand that loosing a deer can scar you for a long time...... Not a day goes by that I don't think about the buck I lost and I wish I had this resource to fall back in wen all efforts failed

I am interested in teaching my dog to track or even getting a new pup and teaching it!!! How can I go about doing this? Any information on how to train your dog to track blood trails? Did you do it yourself or did you send the dog to a trainer? Thanks

For my Jagds its hard wired into the breed but it can be done with any dog that has a good nose just get some blood and start dropping blood every few yards or so. Make it easy for them with a big reward at the end then make it harder once they understand what you want them to do.

MJB said:
For my Jagds its hard wired into the breed but it can be done with any dog that has a good nose just get some blood and start dropping blood every few yards or so. Make it easy for them with a big reward at the end then make it harder once they understand what you want them to do.
Awesome breed. Neil Ray's dog Bolt is Zoe's pup. He is one awesome hunter and tracker. Watching him work with Neil is worth the price of admission. Wish I could have seen Mark and Zoe yesterday.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu