Colorado Elk + Deer hunt

Heck of a buck heavy and dark ! I’m bummed I wasn’t out in Colorado hunting this year. Congratulations though.

Reactions: 180ls1
Day 4:
We drive, hike and glass. Once again located a giant herd with a big bull. However, my dad is 72 and with my hurt leg we couldn’t get the bull out if we downed him. I’ve gotta admit, I was feeling guilty for hurting myself. I’ve always wanted a big 6 for my dad.

Day 5:
We wake up and glass small bulls immediately. Up high again but in an easier spot. We spend several hours trying to make a play but they bedded in the thick stuff with crunchy snow all around so we pulled out.

Evening comes around and we start hiking in on them again, blind. Right when we get into position to creep in on them I look back across the backdrop as we wait for thermals to pull down. All I see are huge 4ths and tails from 1.5miles away through my 10x binos.

We have 1 hour of light and decide to go for it. I check to make sure the bull is on public and we start our death march. We get to the small meadow and the bulls aren’t there. 5 mins left of shooting light…. We keep moving along knowing it’s slipping away. Finally at the end of the other side of the meadow we spot him. 150 yards out, the 300 barks and the bull goes down.

Incredible end to the hunt and our buddies were able to get the truck close by. When in doubt, go for it. It just may work out for you!

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu