D16 Opener

Fri-Mon in a tent 2 miles in.
Fri night 5:45-6PM, watched a nice forkie dogging a dow for 15 mins.

Sat 1 doe cruising at 8AM at 100yds. HOT day! Just before sunset a group of 5-6 (maybe 1 buck), way out at 800-900yds in a small clearing.

Sun 2 does cruise by close, around 8:30. Again HOT day! At 5:30PM got glimpses of a 2x3 chasing a doe at 300yds in the thick stuff. Never enough time to put the hammer down.

Mon AM thought it would be better with the cooler AM but no movement anywhere.

Working Tue/Wed and then back out Wed night for 6 days. Should be good with cooler temps and some rain to wet the grass/leaves and make still hunting possible.

Good luck to everyone!
WOW

Got my friend Robert on a buck (bucks) after going to Wister (MCC).....1st it was a doe and small forky. Then a 3x2 runs out to join them....Stops at 40 yds in front of him....Fires and the buck runs off.....Looked for blood and couldn't find any.....Then went back to the area of impact....Here's what we found.....lol

.045.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Saw a forky but left NF and into private. So no go . Maybe next time. Down with knee injury. Pushed to hard. Need to heal up for dark of the moon. Perfect day today. But moon was like daylight last night.

I hunt laguna area on sunday with not action, foggy morning , a 63 years old friend with crossbow stuck a big fork at 4:30, he found blood in 2 places , he back again with wife all day never found it.
I back on friday and sunday.

I hunt laguna area on sunday with not action, foggy morning , a 63 years old friend with crossbow stuck a big fork at 4:30, he found blood in 2 places , he back again with wife all day never found it.
I back on friday and sunday.

Was he in the Laguna's as well?

Reactions: socalhntr
Hopefully not in the rec area with a crossbow...

I do believe that if you're disabled, you can get a special exemption to use a crossbow during archery season.....Maybe that applies to Laguna MRA as well.....It does state that crossbows are illegal at all times.

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiP_r7hoK_XAhVDxmMKHRBZDAgQFggmMAA&url=http://www.californiatrailmap.com/TrailFinder/Cleveland-National-Forest-Laguna-Mountain/&usg=AOvVaw3yTaEy8Npfvg6TmEuLup2C

Last edited:

Possibly but I doubt it:

"Regulations & Recommendations

An Adventure Pass is required for all vehicles parked on forest land.
Rifle, firearm, or crossbow hunting is not allowed at any time within the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area (only archery hunting during season).
Discharge of firearms is prohibited in the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area."

Well here is an other sketchy law.
I was going to let it go.
But I knew some one would question it.

I seen disabled hunters using crossbow's.
I never said nothing in the rec area.
Mostly in areas out of the rec which is OK.
Outer border in the NF.

Just for General Discussion. We should be aware.
But in SOME states Crossbow's are considered part of Archery. An other bull shit California Law.

Reactions: socalhntr
well I feel good this morning but it may be the pain pills. LOL, I am heading out in the morning, but will stick to easy walking tomorrow. but chances are slim but got to try any way.should of could of . but should of got a G-13 This year, at least I would of had meat in the freezer.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Good luck, Lee.....This has been a weird year.....Either there's a lot less deer or the rut really never materialized.....Acorns thick in some areas, none in others.....MCC I think has only shot 6 bucks (3 pts or better).....There's been years when that many were shot on the opener.....On my best private there's bucks, but with the exception of Stefanie's, nothing of quality.....Lots of spikes (at least 5).....There's also weird antlered bucks with big bodies.....Time for them to go, as I watched one breeding a doe the other night.

Despite this guys size. He's barely legal. I think you can hang a ring on his antler (his eyeguards are longer than his points)).....He chased all the other bucks away.

.078.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu