D16 rifle opener......reports & questions

Hoping these Santa Ana winds don't cramp my style again.. last year's opener we had similar conditions which made for an interesting night in my tent. Not to mention I had to change my setup on the hill to be downwind.. you know us fair weather SoCal hunters lol.

Hoping these Santa Ana winds don't cramp my style again.. last year's opener we had similar conditions which made for an interesting night in my tent. Not to mention I had to change my setup on the hill to be downwind.. you know us fair weather SoCal hunters lol.

Lol I just had a hunting partner bail on backpacking in Friday night due to the winds.

Windy or not they have to breed. When rutting MD have one thing on their mind. Find does and your will find bucks.

During Santa Ana's I always look for a canyon running opposite the direction of the majority of the wind and do pretty well in finding deer. It doesn't have to be the whole canyon, just a piece of it big enough to offer a windbreak.

Reactions: YETI
Having hit some locations this weekend, I was taken back by how dense the chaparral is in many places. So much so that it occurred to me that suppose I glass a deer. How do I put a stalk on it, and if successful, how am I getting it out of here. Are these kinds of areas effectively off limits?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Saw a nice sized buck about 8am DEEP in a canyon about 850 yards away. Couldnt see what he was sporting, all I could see was frame. Tried to reposition but couldnt get back on him. Hoping he slipped away to bed somewhere and didnt push him out. Went back in the evening and didnt see him come out. Went back again Sunday AM and saw a doe in the exact same spot as the buck. Watched her move up and into the thick stuff. This canyon is pretty deep and has some steep hillsides that dont make it easy to move down to em. Im going to try and get down there really early one of these mornings and hope for the best.

T&H in San Marcos also does vacuum sealing, Have not used them in awhile because I've been on the sidelines with other tasks. Last time I I used them was when I fed out a steer, they hung it for three weeks to age it and it was the best beef I have ever had, Vacuum sealed it and it lasted for a couple of years (800 lb's hang weight and over 400'lbs into the freezer.

T&H in San Marcos also does vacuum sealing, Have not used them in awhile because I've been on the sidelines with other tasks. Last time I I used them was when I fed out a steer, they hung it for three weeks to age it and it was the best beef I have ever had, Vacuum sealed it and it lasted for a couple of years (800 lb's hang weight and over 400'lbs into the freezer.
Looks like they are permanently closed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

They've been closed for awhile...I think the business closed after Jacob passed.

Jacob sold it and it was there for awhile, he was a special old school european butcher and made the best sausage I have ever had. I know he went through a couple of other euro butchers in his try to sell it and keep it going but always thought it would not go beyond him. The land was too valuable and no one was at his level of game. Another casualty of what is becoming of California.

Jacob sold it and it was there for awhile, he was a special old school european butcher and made the best sausage I have ever had. I know he went through a couple of other euro butchers in his try to sell it and keep it going but always thought it would not go beyond him. The land was too valuable and no one was at his level of game. Another casualty of what is becoming of California.
X2... I took my buck to T&H a couple years back for ground and 20 pounds of jalapeno cheddar sausage. Best sausage I ever had. Bummer they're closed.

Reactions: wackums back

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu