D16 rifle opener......reports & questions

T&H in San Marcos also does vacuum sealing, Have not used them in awhile because I've been on the sidelines with other tasks. Last time I I used them was when I fed out a steer, they hung it for three weeks to age it and it was the best beef I have ever had, Vacuum sealed it and it lasted for a couple of years (800 lb's hang weight and over 400'lbs into the freezer.
They were a great Butcher shop. Unfortunately they closed down. Great to know Specialty can package. Drop the meat off, drive up the hill and fish for a few hours, p/u meat. Haha!

I was out in D16 yesterday and found these digs in the ground and some cacti trampled. Any thoughts what this is?

.A1FE88AE-BAC3-467B-8E0E-DEC536FE7B87.jpeg63AB1605-DF0F-4B93-AD68-1A483C1648DC.jpeg71E5D4D3-A761-4742-8CE9-53CEB6E1B841.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of possibilities....But could be 2 bucks fighting or a buck chasing a doe...That definitely appears to be deer fur...Any deer tracks in the area?

Thanks for the info. Yes there were tracks, and dropping in the area. I was leaning towards two bucks fighting, but then again that’s just my hopeful side.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thanks for the info. Yes there were tracks, and dropping in the area. I was leaning towards two bucks fighting, but then again that’s just my hopeful side.

Desert type areas historically aren't deer rich...So, the competition for does isn't as great as in Julian, Henshaw, and those surrounding areas...They still mark, spar, and fight though...Keep the faith, brotha...The "16" is just getting going.

Desert type areas historically aren't deer rich...So, the competition for does isn't as great as in Julian, Henshaw, and those surrounding areas...They still mark, spar, and fight though...Keep the faith, brotha...The "16" is just getting going.

They’re still getting after it. I got some video of a buck doggin’ a doe on Monday....

So on the opener we see 8 does and 6 bucks all on the same Hill top. We put to bed all the bucks but only one was doable.

So the hunters get to 100yds and can't see the buck in the brush. They wait him out about an hour, but the kid gets board. So I send him to toss a few rocks near the bedded deer.
The noise gets him up and he slowly walks out into the opening.
The other guy is on a rock and can see the bucks head clearing the brush line when bam!
The kid fires and is 4" high over his back. Buck bolts hunt is over.

I love guiding with a view of all the action...... especially yelling at them on the radio.

Last edited:
Sunday morning was the day to kill a deer....but....I was baby sitting a new DEER hunter and on the way in we ran across signs that were a teaching moment on quail, yotes, bobcats, lions & DEER!

They’re still getting after it. I got some video of a buck doggin’ a doe on Monday....

Watched 2 beauties a couple of days ago...D-16 bucks that were in full rut...The breeding season here in San Diego can last up to 3 months...So, obviously, does come into estrus at different times...With this cold weather in our local mountains, the does should heat up.

Reactions: YETI
Watched 2 beauties a couple of days ago...D-16 bucks that were in full rut...The breeding season here in San Diego can last up to 3 months...So, obviously, does come into estrus at different times...With this cold weather in our local mountains, the does should heat up.
Glasses a couple does this weekend. No bucks in site. Either they already did the biz, or these gals haven't heated up yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Probably haven't started yet...I'm still see does with yearlings as well...Pretty soon, they'll be kicking the youngsters away too.

.View attachment 41758

Same here. Seen seven deer all does and fawns Sunday. No rifle on base with high fire danger hope they open it up this weekend.
2896d2503f78f91077450176d05233a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any news reports.... im going out this week during the morning. i did harvest a buck in north carolina 2 weeks ago. never easy out here in D16.

ahh .. the 16..if I only i had a tag, endless forkys and humans, my kinda of zone...next year im going all in! good luck fellas, this last week should be the best, post him when you kill him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu