Does anyone use decoys for dove?

a_gonzalez

Nov 5, 2012
Perris
Does anyone use dove decoys when hunting dove and if you do, does it matter if I get mourning dove decoys, if I am hunting eurasian collared dove? Is there any decoys that you can recommend? I limited a few times earlier in the second season opener but now they are always out of range and I just want to draw them in closer. :(

I use both stationary and spinning wing decoys for dove...I must say if I had just one, It would be the spinner, it sucks them in like nothing else. $40 at Walmart, takes 4AA batteries. I clip the stationary decoys on barbed wire fences, tree limbs and tent stakes on the ground below the spinner to look like feeders, but the spinner will work fine all by itself.

Cool, thank you I was thinking about getting some of those motorized decoys but was not sure how well they work. I might just have to try one out for myself.

They are not a necessity as stated above and you can also hunt ducks without decoys but you will most likely do better with decoys. If your hunting a flyway with other shooters, why not suck the birds your way. It certainly can't hurt.....

First time I saw dove decoys for me was a year or two ago, I personally don't think it's needed for dove.. Dove are everywhere and shouldn't be to hard to score yourself some doves, if they are flying close enough to see the decoy, then you should already have a decent shot at some... Just my 2 cents... If you do get some let us know how it went..good luck Gonzalez ..

Second Season hunting is sometimes tough. Decoys and Spinners have helped me with bringing the birds into lethal range. I give them a thumbs up.

Thank you guys for your help, since I am pretty new to hunting and the only person in my family that hunt I am just trying to learn as much as I can. :D

To each their own on their opinion of necessity of dove decoys. I can tell you that the locations I hunt for dove are NOTHING like the valley locations. StikBrandon can vouch for that. And besides the junk "wind powered" spinners, lots of dove hunters have higher success with decoys vs no decoys (around my areas). I'll be getting some "clip-on" decoys and a motorized one.

Cabela's has the Mojo with the crazy spinning wings as well as the Lucky Duck Dove-N-Air Decoy which has wings that look like slow flapping. Any of you have experience with both? Enough to form an opinion? One's $40 and one's $30 so it's not like they're expensive or anything, but budgets are budgets and if I can avoid buying 2 because 1 sucks, I'd rather have an extra bit of cash to use elsewhere. Thoughts are appreciated...

Last year I put my mallard mojos out just to see what the dove would think. They love them!! Sounds stupid but it worked, think they just key on the spinning wings even though they are the wrong size and color

Aeon said:
Last year I put my mallard mojos out just to see what the dove would think. They love them!! Sounds stupid but it worked, think they just key on the spinning wings even though they are the wrong size and color

I read that in a couple of the reviews... thanks Aeon. Really does help.

I would say that they're not really necessary, if your on the X......It's when your off the X or your in a really big area or field that they shine......How do you get birds to come within your 40 yd shooting radius?.......The spinner......Decoys work too, but not as well as the spinner normally.........If I was going to have one or the other, it would be the spinner.....2 cents

We also bring our own trees w/stand............. ;)

Attachments

• dove 9-3-12 004.JPG
    dove 9-3-12 004.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Wister Draw & Dove Hunt 9-9-11 007.JPG
    Wister Draw & Dove Hunt 9-9-11 007.JPG
    619 KB · Views: 41
Yeah, ilovesprig, that's a major issue by me, there is no "X"... you don't have open fields like in the vally and the birds have a tendency to fly over neighborhoods instead of available hunting grounds. There's so much going on that you can't depend on channels or waterways for navigation... they just fly where they fly without a major pattern to it (for the most part). After the opener, they tend to fly above tree height and out of reach so I'm going to try to bring them down closer. Don't want to be shooting #5's full dram through a coyote choke just to reach out and touch one. I'll have to make up one of those field trees you got there... pretty smart. Those are the same clip on's I'm looking at. Sounds like the rapid wing movement may be better than a slow wing beat which was my initial worry about buying one over the other. Thanks.

8SteelTown said:
To each their own on their opinion of necessity of dove decoys. I can tell you that the locations I hunt for dove are NOTHING like the valley locations. StikBrandon can vouch for that. And besides the junk "wind powered" spinners, lots of dove hunters have higher success with decoys vs no decoys (around my areas). I'll be getting some "clip-on" decoys

8steel is on point with are areas being different! I'll tell you guys what!, them dam doves get smart real quick after the opener! They'll fly ten feet off the ground straight at u so you can't see them or they will fly so high good luck hitting them. They fly a different way to feed than they take back to there roost's, than every Richard and Harry will try to jack your spots and blast the doves out of the trees ...... They don't even try to shoot them in the air...... #urbanhunting

They help to bring them in......they land right on top if your not careful. I stick the 20ga shooter or the one who's the worse shot next to it so they have a chance

all this time i thought you put me next to the spinner because you liked me :(

hahahahaha... that's what I'll tell the "in-law"... "I put you by the spinner cuz I "like" you!"

MJB said:
I stick the 20ga shooter or the one who's the worse shot next to it so they have a chance

I didn't know people user other gauges for upland. You couldn't be one of those guys that uses a 12 gauge. Could you? ;D

Aeon said:

And visa versa in Canada............lol

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 202

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu