Does anyone use decoys for dove?

i also used the walmart one that spins, it got broken though and i havent seen one at walmart since

Going to go out probably this Sunday or next Saturday morning and practice some decoy setups to see if and how they attract at some of my spots. I know that birds feel pressure on opening week and during the season, but we should be fine just going to test out the setups, right? Thinking the same birds aren't using the same perches every day? Not sure if they're as territorial as other animals or if they just fly around and land on what looks good. Got 8 clip on decoys and 2 mojo voodoo spinners with multiple trees. Planning on setting the spinners about 20 yards away from the main tree of death as to have good visibility at multiple approach angles and putting the clip on's on the bottom rung of branches. Any thoughts on setups to avoid or try? Am I overthinking this?

Yep.......No reason to overthink.......They're doves.......Find a good field, flyway, and set-up away from others.......2 cents

ilovesprig said:
Yep.......No reason to overthink.......They're doves.......Find a good field, flyway, and set-up away from others.......2 cents

Thanks

Decoys can be powerful I've seen em sucked in to em and once you've shot a few euros pigeons or whatever you can put em in a pile and it draws em in too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
Decoys can be powerful I've seen em sucked in to em and once you've shot a few euros pigeons or whatever you can put em in a pile and it draws em in too

Sounds clever and expedient. I'll have to try it.

D16hunter said:

Two weeks ago Me and my dad found out about this we shot 15 birds set em in groups of 3 or 4 as decoys and the doves came in fast and furious we killed 41 or 42 and i shot a double

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406914942.942673.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406914942.942673.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 99
If the birds are already flying pretty well then you probably won't notice much of a difference with the decoy. However if the birds are few and far between then I personally feel that the decoy can be helpful especially if it is a motion decoy. I use the Mojo Voodoo dove decoy.

Josh Pearson said:
If the birds are already flying pretty well then you probably won't notice much of a difference with the decoy. However if the birds are few and far between then I personally feel that the decoy can be helpful especially if it is a motion decoy. I use the Mojo Voodoo dove decoy.

Indeed.

It seems to work for me. It might just be a confidence booster though all I know is to me at least after we set em down as decoys it made it seem like the birds were closer lower and coming in better. I've also heard of old duck hunters using this tactic also that's where I got the idea from

Friendly shoutout on a sale Cabela's has for the next few days. Mojo Voodoo motion dove decoy for $30... Good through 8/27. My order shipped out of Salt Lake and I had it in 3 days. I'd suggest ordering it today if you want to have it for the opener. You won't get weekend delivery so if you miss the window, or it ships out of the east coast, you may not get it till the 2nd or later... still a good price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Hunting-Shooting-7-Day-Sale%7C/pc/105625080/c/567351180/Mojo-Outdoors-Mojo-Voodoo-Dove/1384344.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D567351180%26WTz_l%3DHome&WTz_l=Home%3Bcat567351180

8SteelTown said:
Friendly shoutout on a sale Cabela's has for the next few days. Mojo Voodoo motion dove decoy for $30... Good through 8/27. My order shipped out of Salt Lake and I had it in 3 days. I'd suggest ordering it today if you want to have it for the opener. You won't get weekend delivery so if you miss the window, or it ships out of the east coast, you may not get it till the 2nd or later... still a good price.

In stock at Fine Firearms...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu