Feral Animals

s14slide

Mar 21, 2016
Just wanted to see the general consensus of something that just came across the noggin after yesterday's outing. So backstory, my wife wanted to go shooting for mothers day (lucky me!). So I took her to one of the ranges we have on the mountain. We are in the San Berdoo Nat'l Forest. As we are driving to and from, we must have come across at least 3 feral cats. This is nowhere near civilization. Miles and roughly 4000' of elevation from people. So there's no way they are coming to/from someone's house. I know feral cats can be detrimental to local wildlife populations. I've seen more birds this spring than I have in years and I'd hate to see that messed up from a population boom of feral cats. My question to you is, would you go ahead and pop off that feral animal?

I say those critters were lucky my guns were stored away in the back of the suv. What say you?

Aaaahhhh

Don't bring it up on the web.....and you know what to do......set out cat food and talk really nice to them and become their friends!

Feral cats should all die... they are invasive and represent a huge threat to native wildlife.

so reading the regs in calif it would seem you can not shoot feral cats???? if it falls under this §472. General Provisions.
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx

Please read the second post and the one by s14slide. No one can draw you a picture.

Feral cats are a real problem in many areas......They're especially a problem in one of my best turkey spots......The land owner has advised me that less cats around the house would be nice while she's in Europe..... ;)

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    680.6 KB · Views: 23
a little duck club up north has golf carts with silenced ar15's. When i got into the cart i asked "hey what are the rifles for" in a stunned response i got " to shoot cats with dummy" sometimes sucks to be a Californian.

Aeon said:
Feral cats should all die... they are invasive and represent a huge threat to native wildlife.

so reading the regs in calif it would seem you can not shoot feral cats???? if it falls under this §472. General Provisions.
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx

This clears it up clearly. I stand to think moral obligations point to the correct course of action. Not within miles of suburbia or any other population. So chance of it being someone's putty tat are nil. Thanks for the link. Also answered another question I had.

◾(c) Aoudad, mouflon, tahr, and feral goats may be taken all year.

SDbirds,

Bring your full checkbook. LEO and greenjeans are going to watch you pay for it.

Sdbirds said:
Would about feral cows can we shoot them in the face?
Dude I had a full on stand off with a big bull on sat. Same field we got that yote in. I hopefully could have outrun it but it was a little nerve racking he was pissed.

Sdbirds said:
Would about feral cows can we shoot them in the face?
Hahahahaha did I tell you I just about shot one on the jr opener when it ran at me when it was 5 feet away. I nearly s**t my pants.

images

I know we are all dog lovers but we have been seeing a pack of wild dogs. 6 dogs running in a pack hunting in the forest at 5,000 ft. Not one collar on them. I have talked to all the neighbors and some others have seen the pack and nobody has claimed them as pets. ??? I just ran them off but 6 large dogs will hunt fawns like wolves.

Feral dogs are a real problem around Lake Henshaw......Cattleman shoot them on sight.....Kill & chase deer like crazy..... :mad:

The lake Henshaw area is close to a couple of Indian reservations and the folks on the reservations generally don't pen their dogs, consequently it has become a problem. We catch a few each year on our property and turn them over to animal services at which point its up to the owner to find and retrieve their animals (generally they don't have ID tags so we have no idea who they belong to), I can tell you without a doubt that the local ranchers will shoot them on sight because they chase their cattle and that's not good thing.

Fred,

Even MCC folks are told to shoot them.....It's really become a problem.....I've come across them at least 3 times.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu