Finished Hunting Dog

Duckdown

Oct 30, 2023
Looking for a young, Finished Duck Hunting dog. Preferably close to CA. Must do blind retrieves, doubles, hand signals and sit in a box. Let me know what you have.

A finished dog won't be 10k, from raney. I'm gona guess double that. Maybe more!

So a little secret., a lot of very high quality dogs pass through here. Some are trials wash outs. If a dog can't win then they blow them out and start over. A trials wash out can be a rad hunting dog. Some are just from guys that like to take them through ff and blinds and so on then flip them.

I got chip off this group for 5500 at 18mo. Not a wash out. Just a flip dog. He prob should have gone to a trials home but he will have to live with just hunting. When I went to see him in south Dakota Paul sent him on a 400 yard blind......i could not say sold fast enough

A finished dog won't be 10k, from raney. I'm gona guess double that. Maybe more!

So a little secret., a lot of very high quality dogs pass through here. Some are trials wash outs. If a dog can't win then they blow them out and start over. A trials wash out can be a rad hunting dog. Some are just from guys that like to take them through ff and blinds and so on then flip them.

I got chip off this group for 5500 at 18mo. Not a wash out. Just a flip dog. He prob should have gone to a trials home but he will have to live with just hunting. When I went to see him in south Dakota Paul sent him on a 400 yard blind......i could not say sold fast enough

You might be right Bill but I know that Raney is not an inexpensive way to go and yes maybe he has a field trial washout that would go for less. Just relating what I know over the years of knowing him and his kennel and working with him on snake training (he's my neighbor and breeds great dogs) He knows what he is doing..

Raney For sure has great dogs, hunted over a few of his dogs in mex.

My daughter & SIL have their chocolate pup at Raney's right now...Either Steve or Jason said they had a started dog or something like that for $6000.00.....Expensive ducks..... ;)

Last edited:
Most guys only need a started dog or watch fowl dogs, Freddy king or pick up the basics on youtube. all that cash for a trials wash out to retrieve water smacked coots is crazy.

But they’re something about watching a dog work that is on point. I remember a video years ago that @Aeon posted where he was winging bumpers with his buddy in to the thick shit and there dogs would go in and get them. Pretty sure it was the pray drive that got them to do it mixed with the praise they got. maybe @Aeon Can elaborate.

Never gets old.

Last edited:
i Miss Mike Besaw and my dog Tia a lot.

lil fun story, we were rafted up on the airboats doing a roundup aka drinking boons farm and eating food that' s bad for you. a flight of bluewings came by and buzzed us and as they came back for a second pass Fred said watch this and shot at them. He ends up sending one deep into the weeds. Now he has his bad ass Raney ranch dog that now has titles and is the man! he lines him up and says watch this boys as he sends his dog. the dog rips off on a mission to get the duck. 5 min or so go by and the dog gives up and comes back with out the duck. I figure now is a great time to be show off so i say hey fred want my dog to get your bird. Fred says no way that bird is to far back..... i look at tia who is watching all this go down and say hey girl wana get the bird? she rips out and i go back to eating and drinking boons farm. few min later i hear the snort tia used to do when she got wind of a bird. GAME OVER she came back with the duck.

anyways here is the video of working the dogs in heavy cover :) its pretty funny

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu