Finished Hunting Dog

i Miss Mike Besaw and my dog Tia a lot.

lil fun story, we were rafted up on the airboats doing a roundup aka drinking boons farm and eating food that' s bad for you. a flight of bluewings came by and buzzed us and as they came back for a second pass Fred said watch this and shot at them. He ends up sending one deep into the weeds. Now he has his bad ass Raney ranch dog that now has titles and is the man! he lines him up and says watch this boys as he sends his dog. the dog rips off on a mission to get the duck. 5 min or so go by and the dog gives up and comes back with out the duck. I figure now is a great time to be show off so i say hey fred want my dog to get your bird. Fred says no way that bird is to far back..... i look at tia who is watching all this go down and say hey girl wana get the bird? she rips out and i go back to eating and drinking boons farm. few min later i hear the snort tia used to do when she got wind of a bird. GAME OVER she came back with the duck.

anyways here is the video of working the dogs in heavy cover :) its pretty funny

That’s awesome man and that was the video I was talking about.

Reactions: Ahidog
i Miss Mike Besaw and my dog Tia a lot.

lil fun story, we were rafted up on the airboats doing a roundup aka drinking boons farm and eating food that' s bad for you. a flight of bluewings came by and buzzed us and as they came back for a second pass Fred said watch this and shot at them. He ends up sending one deep into the weeds. Now he has his bad ass Raney ranch dog that now has titles and is the man! he lines him up and says watch this boys as he sends his dog. the dog rips off on a mission to get the duck. 5 min or so go by and the dog gives up and comes back with out the duck. I figure now is a great time to be show off so i say hey fred want my dog to get your bird. Fred says no way that bird is to far back..... i look at tia who is watching all this go down and say hey girl wana get the bird? she rips out and i go back to eating and drinking boons farm. few min later i hear the snort tia used to do when she got wind of a bird. GAME OVER she came back with the duck.

anyways here is the video of working the dogs in heavy cover :) its pretty funny

Good story Bill and an excellent comparison of what money buys and what a dog no matter the amount of training might do. Training, testing and field work is 75% effort and 25% luck. From my experience that I have seen over the years is that on any given day with any dog you might get a stellar preformance or a complete failure. Dogs are not digital devices and cannot be programed. When you direct them to a task you cannot expect them as you would any human to behave the same way every time. We love our dogs for the same reason's we love our family because they are peculiar and loveable in their own way and try to please. Just like humans some dogs are better and smarter than others.

There are plenty of great Labs out there without Field Trial credentials who will smoke many a dog on pheasants and ducks in the field. Often times it is the time you put in and the bond that you make that will determine if you end up with a great dog. Plenty of train wrecks out there caused by dog owners who failed to handle a finished dog in a consistent manner. Spending time with the person who trained the dog so you are trained on how to handle the dog will be key.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu