First Deer Hunt Plan D16

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
This is my plan for deer hunting (my first deer hunt after a few years of only turkey hunting ...in the "secret" spots where there are cows). For opening weekend I am thinking of going to a new spot where I plan to hunt, but not actually hunting. I'll see if other hunters are there (so that I am double sure it is public land) and then hunt on the Monday after opening weekend (taking the day off work).
Hunting with my Benelli Nova 12 gauge using slugs this year (then I'll buy a rifle for next year's season).
Do you think that other hunters will be bothered by my presence in the field (being quiet and respectful) on opening weekend if I'm not hunting?

Relying on other hunter sightings to know if its private dirt is not a good plan.

I have used this with its free trial to help id areas near me http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/
its a pretty slick app. I can not speak to its accuracy where you are at.

Scouting on opening day is not always the best idea :) find out if its good ground and go hunt.

DanSanDiego said:
This is my plan for deer hunting (my first deer hunt after a few years of only turkey hunting ...in the "secret" spots where there are cows). For opening weekend I am thinking of going to a new spot where I plan to hunt, but not actually hunting. I'll see if other hunters are there (so that I am double sure it is public land) and then hunt on the Monday after opening weekend (taking the day off work).
Hunting with my Benelli Nova 12 gauge using slugs this year (then I'll buy a rifle for next year's season).
Do you think that other hunters will be bothered by my presence in the field (being quiet and respectful) on opening weekend if I'm not hunting?

Well, I think this is 1st.......Wanting to go into the field on the opener without a gun?......1st off, I think I'd find out if the property is private or legal before the 25th......If your hunting turkeys in a "secret spot". Then why not hunt deer there. Deer and turkeys always hanging together......Have you ever shot slugs out of your Nova?.....Are you aware you need to have your cylinder choke in?.....Have you patterned the slugs? Historically not very good groups in field guns.....If I had guys just walking around the forest, I'd sure wonder what they were doing. And wouldn't be real happy about it

This is what I would do.......Scout before the opener, after I find out if it's legal.... Find a rifle.... And not be walking around the woods on the opener......2 cents

OMG this is why the opener can be one of the most dangerous days out there. If you know nothing about hunting deer I would not be sneaking around anywhere watching people on opening day. Hook up with some one who has a little knowledge on deer hunting and get some maps or a GPS. Good luck

Welcome to the SCH website DanSanDiego. Heed the above advise. It is sound...

Could you imagine how bummed you'd be if you showed up to "view" and a buck passed by you but you had no means of shooting it!?!?! Always go prepared! I even pack my pellet gun with me when I go on scouts. Never use it, but there may be that one time...

And I've shot slugs out of my Remi 870 w/ a modified choke and been extremely accurate out to about 80 yards. If you haven't done it before, make sure you go range it. The dropoff from 80-100 isn't too terrible but from 100-120 yards is pretty extreme.

Good luck to you either way you decide Dan

Here's some opinions on shooting slugs thru a smooth bore...........

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fieldandstream.com%2Fanswers%2Fguns%2Fshotguns%2Fshotgun-reviews%2Fcan-you-shoot-slugs-threw-smooth-bore-shotgun-barrel-i-want-re&ei=7NQ_VLCRCoetogS3ioHQBg&usg=AFQjCNEwRF6wL6-JHfah6MD6r5qMaYXYyQ&sig2=ZDZ3aaZji4kh2pXrfWaZyg&bvm=bv.77648437,d.cGU

I took the entire first week of the season off work and will be in the field everyday. Waiting until Monday might not be the best idea if you are piggie backing off other people's spot.

Never want to piss someone off with a gun; specially when they are hiding in the woods. Drive up before or after work and scout this week and next. I think scouting is one of the best parts of deer hunting.

If it isn't private and there are deer, it's not a secret spot....guaranteed

If you haven't put slugs through your gun already, do it before you hunt. You owe it to the animal.

If there are deer there and it's public and legal, take your gun.

DanSanDiego said:

You better find a partner that knows what he or she is doing.
better get national forest maps, and as Aeon suggested.

No don't be walking around the forest on opener you will piss people off.
stick to the spot where you have been turkey hunting.

and make sure what it is before you shoot. better have good optics. don't shoot at anything that moves.

you'll be fine.
Just don't walk around, and get there early.
The last two years, i saw a big deer taken on opening day. I will always try to go out ( armed) on opening day.

Is there any way you can sit on (Absolutely certain) public land, and keep an eye on the secret spot?

Lastly, if there are cows there,.... it may be off limits.

Good luck

Thank you! All great advice. I will stick to my turkey spot on Palomar (I know it is CNF there, I have maps from the Turkey Tune Up and the Ranger in Ramona/Palomar District said it was ok to hunt even when the cows are there - just to not hit a cow) and hunt the opener through Monday. I'll also go to the range (P2K) this week to try out the Nova with slugs. I have optics and I don't plan to shoot any buck beyond 70 yards. Then I plan to get a Ruger American 270 on Black Friday if I can get the rifle plus Redfield scope package on sale.
Glad to find a Southern CA hunting forum.

DanSanDiego said:
Thank you! All great advice. I will stick to my turkey spot on Palomar (I know it is CNF there, I have maps from the Turkey Tune Up and the Ranger in Ramona/Palomar District said it was ok to hunt even when the cows are there - just to not hit a cow) and hunt the opener through Monday. I'll also go to the range (P2K) this week to try out the Nova with slugs. I have optics and I don't plan to shoot any buck beyond 70 yards. Then I plan to get a Ruger American 270 on Black Friday if I can get the rifle plus Redfield scope package on sale.
Glad to find a Southern CA hunting forum.

You'll like that Ruger American... I have one in 308 and I love it. Good luck DSD.

Tell you what, PM me the location of the secret spot, and I'll check my maps, and see if there's any private land in that area.

El Matavenados said:
Tell you what, PM me the location of the secret spot, and I'll check my maps, and see if there's any private land in that area.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D... me too... I won't tell anyone, PROMISE :-X

I got in some accidental scouting today. I was taking my kids to Oma's Pumpking patch in Lakeside and the line to get in was way too long. Ended up driving down El Monte to El Capitan Reservoir. Great country back in there - very steep and rugged so hopefully it isn't to popular with others. I asked the pay station attendant if she ever sees wild pigs. She said "yes, definitely" and then described a time when four pigs swam across the lake right near a boat she was on.

El M, I did PM you about my "secret" turkey hunting spot - where there are few hunters , lots of cows, and no turkeys (Love Valley on Palomar). Very beautiful valley but have yet to get a turkey (hence my newfound interest in deer hunting).

Doesn't the land around El Cap Reservoir belong to the Viejas Reservation?

Very good point. Yes. The land around El Cap reservoir is a reservation. On the road into that area there are access points to get to public land.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu